Cleaning 25 year old Webers

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 10:42 AM
red911 Targa
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning 25 year old Webers

Hello fellow listers:

I am to the final stages of rebuilding my 1966 coupe that brings me to rebuilding the Webers. They have the "white" powder disease inside with some crud that is indescribable. The floats are corroded with the powder too.

My thought was to buy a gallon of carb cleaner and leave them in overnight and gently clean each part a little at a time.

Any thing to watch out for??

Thanks, Tom
Old 08-13-2005, 01:48 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Tom: Putting them in carb cleaner is a horrible mistake! What that will do is remove the build up of varnish, etc., from the throttle shafts, leaving behind air space that will cause a drifting idle, noise, etc. The best way to deal with your problem is to concentrate on the float chambers and floats individually. Pep Boys, Auto Zone, etc., have a variety of aerosol cleaners, combine those with laquer thinner and you should be able to do a decent job while preserving throttle shaft integrity. Of course, you're still only buying time, but if it gives you another 3 - 5 years it's worth it.
Pete
Old 08-14-2005, 09:59 PM
red911 Targa
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Pete,

If I could get all the crud out of the carbs, then I could send them to Matt Blast at Eurometrics for a shaft rebushing. Matt is concerned that the white residue may render the carbs junk, so my question is how do I get them as clean as possible so if Matt has to work on them they will not be clogged after that rebuild??

So, the question is how do I assure myself that all the crud is gone and I have something that will not cough and spit when either I or later Matt is done??

Thanks, Tom
Old 08-15-2005, 06:48 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Tom: If shaft repairs are part of your agenda you might as well strip and dunk them! Otherwise the cleanup is really time consuming - aerosol cleaner and brush work. After they look pretty good then you have to go into the orifices... Hopefully the carb itself hasn't been eaten away!
Pete

Quick Reply: Cleaning 25 year old Webers