Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911SC HVAC control removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 11:00 PM
sanchez
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 911SC HVAC control removal

The lights for my fan/temp/def sliders have come loose and are hanging behind my radio and under the dash. I think the previous owner accidentilly pulled them out installing a new stereo. Can I remove the fan/temp/def panel to repair the broken plastic light holders? How do I get it out?

Todd
1981 911SC
Old 11-20-2002, 04:20 PM
Jdub
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Todd:

I just did this. No, do not attempt to pull that panel - you will only damage the dash and hate yourself. Instead, get several pillows, get on your side under the dash, and first test that all lights work.

Now, keep in mind that the bulbs like to fall out of the sockets and will also hang up in the tiny holes provided for them in the dash itself. This means that, when you get the socket in, the bulb *may* grip to the inside and part with the socket. If that happens, you may not be able to mate the two together agains and all bets are off - you will have to crush the bulb, pick out the pieces (paperclip) and start again.

To prevent this, tighten up the socket so that the bulb goes in snugly. Take a small pintool or electric tester with sharp point and ever so gently bend each side of the contact (think keyhole) towards the center. Test your fit.

Now, on your side under the dash, take a deep breath and relax. Start with the furthest light from you (lower right as you face dash). Push the socket in (no particular orientation, even though there is a flat on the socket). Next, do the upper 'FAN' light, and finish off by pushing in the lower left one. They just hang in there - don't attempt to push them in hard or you will be sorry.

Good luck. A tedious and wretched job.

John
Old 11-20-2002, 08:17 PM
sanchez
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John,

Thanks for the reply. When I first purchased the car, I couldn't figure out why Porsche didn't provide some lighting for the ventilation controls. On a road trip, I hit a bump and suddenly all these lights appeared from behind the dash (loose connection). I briefly tried to remove the panel, but it didn't seem to move. Thank you for the warning.

Todd
911SC

Quick Reply: 911SC HVAC control removal