Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 value given world petroleum situation

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 05:00 PM
danoberer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ('classic') 911 is timeless. As said above, all things will be relative, and our P car value is not in jeopardy I think. Plus, it is incredibly fuel efficient for what it is. If my 911's $ worth tanked, I would still love it dearly...
Old 08-12-2005, 05:34 PM
Celle
Advanced

Prices here in Europe doubled in about 6 or 7 years. Guess you're going the same way in the US... Unless GWB finds some more oil countries he can "liberate"...
Old 08-12-2005, 06:20 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Iran is next
Old 08-12-2005, 06:26 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

If Iraq weighs the same as a duck, it's made of wood, and therefore...

Seems our Illustrous Leader thinks along the same lines as Sir Bedivere.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:05 AM
Celle
Advanced

Hahaha! Great comparison! I see there are more Monty Python lovers amongst the forum-ers...
Old 08-13-2005, 01:03 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

A WITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHA I'm not worried about the price of my car, or gas, as My GTI gets 27 around town and 33 highway (lead footed too). Gas prices will be so high, we will all be riding mopeds and bicycles, horses will be hauling things to market, the freeway will be empty, and a super rich Saudi oil prince can buy my Carrera for $80K U.S.

Its everyone's own damn fault, so dont blame the chimp in the oval office (too much), europe and other countries have had expensive fuel supplies for years, they are trained to operate efficiently, from government vehicles, to diesel cars and trucks, no big *** trucks and SUV's in england for anyone but the super rich. Japan is full of fuel effiecnt economy cars and the ones that arent belong to the higher social classes.

The American consumers got caught with their pants down when the rest of the world caught up with us. As far as I'm concerned the blame belongs on the PAST administrations for waiting to educate the public on conservation and alternate energy sources and doing something about it.

As for me, my next project car is a 1966 Corvette with a 427...............not kiding
Old 08-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Premium is now $2.97 a gallon down the street from me. I'll continue to put the same amount of miles on all 3 of my cars without regard to gas cost, as I sure as hell ain't walking!
I might try to keep my foot out of the pedal a bit on the Tahoe and the Benz, but the pedal on the 911 is somehow directly connected to my fun meter.
I'll basically not change the way I drive or how much.
As for value of the cars with respect to fuel costs, they will likely not be affected for at least another 20 years and by then the over-zealous liberals will have imposed some ridiculous laws making it illegal to own a car that might actually be fun to drive unless it is fueled by lithium-ion battery packs, or hydrogen fuel cells.
If driving our cars puts a smile on our faces, then I'm sure they will figure out a way to tax it.
+++
Old 08-13-2005, 09:55 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Dan, there's already a Fun Tax... Speeding Tickets.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:40 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 84_Carrera
Dan, there's already a Fun Tax... Speeding Tickets.
Dont forget our higher insurance pricing too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2005, 01:45 AM
jimcabc
Addict
Rennlist Member

As another point, gasoline will be available for a long time to come because: 1) there is very little to no infrastructure for the alternatives and 2) there is still a lot of oil, we will just need to pay the extra expense for the technologies to get to the difficult to recover stuff. Most older 911s are not driven much on a daily basis and the people who own them can afford the occassional tankful in exchange for the pleasure of driving. (For many reasons, I'm glad I don't own an SUV!)
Old 08-14-2005, 12:35 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I cannot imagine NOT having our SUV. With kids, dogs, playdates, and trips to Costco, Home Depot, tools for work (on occassion), etc. etc. I don't see any other single vehicle that would serve the same purpose.
Imagine the look on peoples' faces when I show up and unload carpentry tools out of the Carrera.
I don't do it too often, as it will not hold a mitre saw or a table saw, but I do when I can.
It works great for client meetings and on-site measurements, but most of the contractors and subs think it is arrogant for the cabinet guy to show up in a 911.
I've told them I could have brought the Mercedes, but that doesn't generally make them feel any better.
+++
Old 08-14-2005, 01:43 PM
jimcabc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not to flame any one who does have an SUV or large pickup if they need it. I joke that about three or four weekends a year I reeeeeally would like a pickup for hauling.

BTW a on a first trip to Ireland a few years ago, it took me a minute to figure out what was "odd" about the traffic there (other than driving on the opposite side of the road!) Then it came too me. Aside from large trucks and buses, all the traffic was incredibly uniform, virtually all small to midsized sedans. No SUVs or pickups! The occassional pickup or small van was obviously a tradesmen.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:35 PM
OneNineElevenGuy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We as Americans have just become too excessive. Do we really need an SUV that covers two zip codes at once? Supersize that food order! You can go to H.D. and a toilet that will flush 8 golf *****! Too many supersized meals I guess. America is addicted to excess. Someday we will wake up and be suffering from a huge hangover.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:46 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

That's b/c you are a cabinet-maker... if you were in a less-skilled, "lower" trade the comments would change (prob. think you were a meth dealer).

"With kids, dogs, playdates, and trips to Costco, Home Depot, tools for work (on occassion), etc. etc. I don't see any other single vehicle that would serve the same purpose."

- uh, mini-van -- unless you are leaving out the route to HD and it invloves really bad trails...

- or station wagon maybe.

I hearitly agree with the 'excess' comment above.
To me an SUV is the least compromised vehicle I can have - I need to get around on some real bad 'roads' sometimes ("two-track"); and I want to be able to camp/sleep in the back. Otherwise an AWD station wagon would be fine. What I personally would really like is an updated, fast, safe, clean, high-mileage VW Synchro Camper bus... What I have is a Honda Pilot (a ULEV), which replaced a MB SUV (the first SUV ULEV). Gonna look at a Toyota hybrid Highlander...

On bad air days here it is too hot to drive the 911 anyway so that's two reason to do whatever driving is needed in the ULEV - despite the Anarchists not liking it. I killed my motorized lawn mower, and walk or bike when I can - I'd do that more often if my tendonitis hadn't flared up real bad recently. ALmost anybody can mitigate to reduce the impact of their Porsche habit in those and other ways.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:05 AM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

These things have a 5000lb payload, seat a ton of people and get 25mpg and will tow 5000lbsand start under $30K best of all its a rebadged mercedes

Quick Reply: 911 value given world petroleum situation