Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Weltmeister Sway Bar Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 02:00 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Weltmeister Sway Bar Failure

You know, darned thing is that these things always seem to happen on your best run

I have front and rear Weltmeister sways (I think they are "stage 2," with droplinks) on my SC. The fronts were set to a middle position. In an autocross last night, under a heavy cornering load, I heard the thing give way, and I figured that my luck had run out on the mounts and that I would finally have to have reinforcements welded in. I get off the gas, and hear another noise, the noise of parts becoming detached and being run over!

I limp back to the paddock and jack her up, and got quite a surprise. The bar actually broke on the drivers side at the elbow where the straight part of the bar makes the turn into the wheelwell. The metal just failed. It looks like metal fatique. It also broke away at the weld for the droplink (I believe the secondary failure), which is what allowed the six inch section of swaybar to become detached and run over.

I'll try to post some pics of the parts later. Does anyone know if this kind of thing is warrantied by Weltmeister? This thing is way too new (Still the shiny original color) to have such a failure. Just glad it was at 40 mph in an autocrooss rather than at The Glen, where the car will be for three days in three weeks!
Old 08-06-2005, 02:08 PM
My87Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ouch thats no fun
Old 08-06-2005, 02:42 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I would imagine they would (or SHOULD) wannaranty a sway bar, I've never seen that style of bar break before, and I have installed those in full on dedicated race cars. So it sounds like a fluke, lucky for you it was an autoX and not a canyon!
Old 08-07-2005, 11:24 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Post some pictures.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:10 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Pics coming soon. Further examination shows that the primary failure was at the point where the "square peg" part attached to the round part of the bar, the part that then goes through the smaller perpendicular section in the wheel well. After this failed, the welded on bracket for the drop link arm also came off, allowing the part to become completely detached and run over at speed.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:19 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

That makes for another item to inspect before each track session. The SRP bars are looking more attractive.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:04 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by earlyapex
That makes for another item to inspect before each track session. The SRP bars are looking more attractive.
I am thinking EXACTLY the same thing. And the SRPs are supposedly a lot more quiet and easy to adjust than the Weltmeisters. If I had only listened to Steve Weiner the first time

The failure point is behind the bar, too...no way I can see to pre-flight that section without a lift.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:31 AM
Jon Sailer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe I had the same issue happen on my 86 911. The Weltmeister bar broke on the passenger side. the bar broke just outside the wheelwell where it would pass behind the gas tank.

After reviewing some other options, many seemed to look like Weltmeister and I made the decision to go with SRP. I would recommend the same to anyone here as I have been using them for two years and they are fantastic. Their other products are great as well! Just a happy SRP and Elephant Racing customer.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:27 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Jon,

Can you comment on the sound of the SRP bars (or lack thereof, I hope!), and the ease of adjustability? These are two areas where I really think the Weltmeisters are weak (oh, yeah, and they BREAK!)
Old 08-14-2005, 02:28 AM
Jon Sailer
Advanced

There is some slack in the front that I cant seem to get rid. This causes some clunking sounds as it loads up from side to side. If I can remove my gas tank sometime, I think it can be clamped to remove some of the slack that has developed. Then again, maybe I goofed installing it, so please dont take this as a definitive answer. The rears are great and adjustability takes minutes.

I have beat the tar and feather out of SRP products along with Elephant racing bushings and would highly recommend both companies. If I were to do it all over again, I would use them again!
Old 08-15-2005, 02:55 PM
bbh03
Instructor

Sorry to hear that Drew. Is your car set up for this weekend?
Old 08-15-2005, 04:02 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bbh03
Sorry to hear that Drew. Is your car set up for this weekend?
You mean for PDA? I'm not signed up for that event. Hate to miss it, but it coincides with the PCA Watkins Glen 3-day DE. Not sure if my Porsche will be ready for that, either. May end up going with the M3, or not going at all.

Quick Reply: Weltmeister Sway Bar Failure