Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Revs dropping low when shifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 11:35 AM
JBO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revs dropping low when shifting

911 SC. Starts and idles fine, but when shifting or coming to a stop revs will drop way down and sometimes alternater light will flicker, then bounces back almost immediatly to 950 rpm's. If the A/C is on the car will actually stall. I tried to lean it a little with the mixture screw, but was either unsuccessful or the half turn to the left I think I did made no difference. Any ideas?
Old 08-03-2005, 12:34 PM
emac
Racer

Someone here with much more knowledge then myself can answer the rev drop. However I do know one thing. One half turn turn lean is wayyyyyyyyy too much.

Ernie 81 SC
Old 08-03-2005, 12:50 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

JBO: A half turn??? The car would no longer run! What screw did you turn?

Your tendency to stall can be caused by a mixture set on the rich side. You better go find a CO% machine and properly set the mixture to factory spec, using factory required conditions!
Pete
Old 08-03-2005, 02:39 PM
JBO
Instructor

I'm talking about the 3mm allen mixture screw bet. the boot and fuel distr. That's why I say it probably didn't really turn at all. Had a !@# of a time getting the allen to set, and maybe never did, though it felt like it turned. My guess was rich due to very hot weather (had it dialed in by a pro with all the equip, he adj pressures & mixture, etc in March - was $385 as pressures and mixture was way off), and if it was a simple minor left turn of the mixture screw it was easier (and free, and less hassle) for me to do it myself. I read a lot on Pelican about making the adjustment and was eager to learn to do the minor tweaking myself. Oh well, I guess I will take it back in.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:50 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Although you shouldn't be trying to set mixture without a CO machine (it's really easy to get lost and difficult to return to where you started), here's a tip. With the air filter cover and filter out of the way reach under the fuel distributor and apply a little upward pressure to the sensor plate arm, while you're trying to seat your allen tool. The adjustment screw will rarely round out, but it helps to use an allen that has a tip in very good condition. If you hold the arm the adjustment screw will be perpendicular to your allen tool, making full contact/engagement easier.
Pete
Old 08-03-2005, 06:03 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

And... clockwise is for "richer..."
Pete
Old 08-03-2005, 11:07 PM
u_slo
Intermediate

I'm not a porsche guy, but I have come across something very similar on an old Honda I had. It might be time to check the Distributor/wires/plugs.

Quick Reply: Revs dropping low when shifting