Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

windscreen leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 06:20 PM
dependencies
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windscreen leak

finally tracked down the source of wet mat/floorpan, to a leak on the lower half of windscreen which I suspect is due to 'surround trim' pressed into outside of rubber seal, which finished screen installation off, following re-spray last year.

At the time 'glass company' who reinstalled screen following paint, blamed sprayer for bending metal trim,
who in turn blamed glass fitters incompetence, in re-fitting it,
To save a protracted and tedious argument, I bought them a new trim from Porsche, and this fitted, looked fairly OK for awhile until recent heavy rain.

It seems to fit badly in the steering wheel corner causing a leak,
is it easy to cure?
Old 07-29-2005, 08:04 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This is really a common problem that occurs 95% of the time when the old seal is re-used. If that is the case get a new seal and have a qualified glass shop do the removal/installation. The deco trim isn't nearly strong enough to force the rubber out of position. It has become commonplace for glass installers to apply a bead of black silicone under the seal. If your windshield has turned opaque to white in the lower outboard corners it is delaminating and should also be replaced.
Pete
Old 07-30-2005, 10:56 AM
dependencies
Instructor

Default Screen seal

Well the black silicon, leaches onto the paintwork during polishing anyway, so I reckon a replacement rubber seal might be a good idea, but this time the glass 'monkeys' can remove/replace the whole lot.
Cheers
Old 08-02-2005, 02:33 PM
Wayne Williams
Advanced

Hey D,

Nice to have another British 911 owner on board!!

I had the same problem with my SC, my local windscreen monkey had a look and decided the best option was to fit new seal with a special bonding sealer (not silicon). The screen sealed fine with this stuff and so far (with all the lovely summer weather we've had!!!) I ain't had any leaks.

Just out of interest, what temperature is your 911 running in this country when its mildly warm outside?
Old 08-02-2005, 06:42 PM
dependencies
Instructor

Wayne hi,
with new seal fited, did he fit the so called 'spreader' or middle trim to push inner/outer edges into screen hole? as I understand, that you can have a rubber seal in one piec only like the 'd' lights at rear, anyway.
the only difference in hot weather, is slight increase at gauge, and oil warning lamp pops on at the traffic lights or in jams. otherwise all is about normal AFAIK
dependencies

Quick Reply: windscreen leak