Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

new guy with questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 01:40 PM
NJREALTOR55
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy with questions

Hey everyone! I found this place thru a friend (perry 951 in the 944 section) a while ago - and decided to join finally.

I am kind of new to 911's, even though my family had a 79 targa while i was growing up.

Now that I am a little older (26) I am not interested in racing jetskis or dirtbikes as much, and would like to start on a project 911. I am just married, and planning to have kids soon. I would love to pass down my enthusiasim (sp?) about porsches. It seems there are others on this board who are doing that as well - and I think it is a wonderful way to bond with kids. I know it worked for me.

I am looking into purchasing a 911 in the next couple years (got the house but gotta build a nice garage 1st) - and I wanted to get something like my family had when I was younger. I like the targa, but the coupe has great looks as well - it will be a hard choice when I start seriously looking.

My question is, what are the big differences in 911's from 78 - mid 80's? I have seen a bunch of models and I like the way they look, but I would like to know more about engine size, obtainable HP, model options, reliability & general prices.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:37 PM
jeff911
8th Gear

Welcome to the board. To answer your question, there is not much of a difference between the 78-89 models. The 78-83 car was named the SC. It has a 3.0 liter motor and a 915 transmission. In 84, the car was renamed "Carerra" and a 3.2 liter motor was new as was better brakes. The body is identical and the transmission is the same. The 87-89 models were the same as the 84-86 models with the exception of a new "G50" transmission. These are very desireable cars as most think that they shift better. But, a well sorted 915 transmission from a 78-86 car does just fine and is a bit lighter (if you have any plans to track the car). IMO, the best bang for the buck is the 84-86 cars with the updated motor and brakes. The 87-89 cars seem to fetch a premium that is not worth the extra (once again, IMO). The SC cars are wonderfull, but getting a bit old. If you can find one with a rebuilt motor and tranny, you could have a nice car for a long time.
All of the above listed cars are generaly regarded as the most durable 911's ever made. The 3.0 and 3.2 liter motors often go over 150,000 miles without a rebuild. The general advice that you will get is to find the most recent and nicest example you can afford. I would also advise you to drive a lot of cars to get a feel for what a good car feels like. It is absolutely essential that you get a pre-purchase inspection before buying one of these cars. They are durable but are not cheap to fix.
Best of luck!
-Jeff
Old 07-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Buy "Original Porsche 911" by Peter Morgan and "The Used 911 Story" by Peter Zimmerman. Those will answer all your questions and also serve as a Used Porsche buyers guide as well. Let me know if you need the ISBN #s.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:59 AM
NJREALTOR55
2nd Gear

thanks for the info - i'll check into the books as well.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:56 PM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just my two cents: You might want to consider avoiding a project car. I can tell you from personal experience that new dads dont have a lot of free time. You could get a pcar that would get you on the road right now and a few years down the line, get a project porsche to work on with your little one. Just a thought. BTW I love my porsche, but being a parent is way better!
Old 07-29-2005, 10:06 PM
DustinTarditi
Instructor

x2 on the sanity check about the project car... these cars are wonderful, but the little goodies can add up - even when they're in good mechanical and cosmetic shape. The rough ones can really test your patience, available time, and finances.

There are solid, well sorted-out cars to be found... look around, ask questions, and drive anything you can get your hands on to see the differences (and nuances) between models, engines, trans, etc.

I started out looking for an SC, but ended up with a cherry "mid-year" car - a 1974 Targa - it's been a great car, and well recieved into the family.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:26 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NJREALTOR55 ,

I'm a water cooled fan, but still love to talk porsches of all types. I'm in Hamilton, about 5 miles away if you ever want to grab a beer. I'm 27 and getting married tomorrow, so I relate pretty well!

Steve

Quick Reply: new guy with questions