Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC
View Poll Results: Remove A/C and Heater?
Lighten it and get a cleaner looking engine bay!
47.37%
Keep it so its original and you don't have to hear her whining
52.63%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

A/C Heater removal Poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 06:12 PM
BrianS
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on location, I suppose. (I don't know what 'Deep behind the Orange Curtain' refers to, I'm afraid.)

If you're not in a climate that 'requires' AC, I'd dump it, but keep the blower fan and controls in the lower console. I use the fan to blow fresh air on the odd occassion when I don't feel like driving with the sunroof open and/or windows down. Sometimes both.

I get plenty of heat and then some from the SSI exhaust system installed by the PO (he took into account his wife's comfort, as they always toured together).

Old 07-30-2005, 01:21 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Orange County Souther California,

It has gotten that nickname "Orange Curtain" by us bedwetting liberals from L.A. since the O.C. is filled with rightwingers and religious wackos and planned communities.

But living in SoCal, with this heat wave right now, sucks, but my GTI has A/C and I would only take the car out on nice weekends anyway, I like how the engine bay looks devoid of the HVAC parts, pluss the 50Lbs it saves is nice.

Then again she bitches at the mere mention of the Carrera not having A/C.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:20 PM
Mysterytrain
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm speaking as an SC owner living in NJ. I backdated my heater when I installed SSI's and a dansk muffler. I got lots of heat at speed but nothing at idle or low rpm's while crusing around town. The biggest shocker came when we were out one cold evening in December [pre salt and snow]. I started the car and let it warm up a few minutes while we waited inside. When I got into the car 10 mins later it was just as cold as it was when I started it. So, i installed footwell blowers and what a huge difference. The heat is very consistent and I can pre heat the cockpit. OK - A/C. I'm mostly a targa top off guy and the car is a fair weather toy these days. I must say that there I times when the weather turns foul and the top needs to go up. When that happens the fresh air in marginal at best and in a hot humid rain storm your comfort level drops big time. At the moment I have the compressor and the rear condensor removed but I'm going to be rebuilding the A/C system down the road. The extra weight isn't a issue for me. Something you might want to think about.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Gost
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a cab and when I have to use it on really hot days I put the top up and crank the A/C...mmmm, it's wonderful to have even just a handfull of day's a year. Charged it with HC-12a, it's a beautiful thing!
Old 08-02-2005, 03:05 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

In southern California, heat is good not so much for heat as for defogging windows. But I guess you could keep a towel handy.

I love my car's AC. But it's been improved significantly with the addition of an underbelly condenser. I drove 1000 miles (to Thunderhill and back) last weekend, and can't imagine choosing to do that very often in a car with no AC.

Quick Reply: A/C Heater removal Poll