Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

car wants to start when pop off valve is lifted?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 04:38 PM
llthomas
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car wants to start when pop off valve is lifted?????

Hi everybody - If you read my last post I was headed for a rebuild, but now compression is fine, there is fuel, spark and we should run right? The car wants to start only when you lift the pop off valve, and an intermitant blowing can be felt and heard. Obviously this is adding air when lifted - but the car is blowing out!????? This is not a backfire, just very light air coming in time with the cranking of the engine. Any body have any clues? This is bizare!
Old 07-26-2005, 04:38 PM
llthomas
Intermediate

I guess I should have added that this is a 78' SC.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:23 PM
DustinTarditi
Instructor

Is your intake partially clogged on the airbox?
Old 07-26-2005, 10:49 PM
llthomas
Intermediate

We are now putting in another air box just to isolate that as the problem - if it is.?? The lead bellow doesn't appear cracked or brittle, the intake runners don't appear to be cracked ... But there is pressure in the cam housing.? From what is a mystery at this point. And a point to note is that when this engine was first back in it fired right up so something wasn't left out or knocked loose... the only thing that happened was the valves were readjusted because of a ticking sound, that did little to help so we injected oil into that cylinder and it smoked and was all burned out... the next morning with plans to just tune - it did not fire at all, and hasn't since...

Quick Reply: car wants to start when pop off valve is lifted?????