Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 whale tail retro question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 09:04 PM
Real
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 911 whale tail retro question

I am adding a stock "Whale Tail" to my '86 911 Cab.. I purchased the appropriate new gasket to fit between the body and the spoiler however, on either side (drivers/passengers) there is a gap at the side/top where the tail & decklid meet. Can anyone tell me if there is supposed to be any additional gaskets or brakets to mount this item and fill this void??
Old 07-24-2005, 09:40 PM
DustinTarditi
Instructor

I couldn't tell from looking online, but you can call Pelican Parts and find out what all the hardware entails: 1-888-280-7799

BTW - be sure to get a chin spoler if you don't have it already - you need it to counteract the aerodynamic effects of the tail at speed. You can have the chin without a tail, but not vice-versa.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:08 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking about the groove at the front on both sides? The bead edge of the gasket has to come out & fill that gap & then it bends sharply & goes across the front.

As you can see, I tried to stretch my old one & reglue it. Unsuccessfully. I ended up ripping it off again, cleaning & regluing - but just tight, not stretched. That allowed me to follow the edge around & keep it glued. The small gap that was left underneath the tail, I filled with some screen spline. Since yours is new, you hopefully will have excess to trim.

Ian
Old 07-25-2005, 09:09 PM
Real
Instructor

Ian, Thanks for the response. When I simply dry fit or just set the spoiler on the deck lid (if you refer to your photo), from where your arrow is to approx. 4-6 inchel up there is a 3/16 to 1/4 inch gap (but just in that 4-6 inch area). Do you think, perhaps, that this gap will tighten up as the bolts are properly torqued when installed?? I'm trying to figure out how to upload a pic to show what I mean.

Mike
Old 07-25-2005, 09:31 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

The gasket's round edge fits into the slot. When you bolt it down, it seals tightly (well, pretty tightly). That's why I had to rip mine apart. It was loose & the seal had slipped from the edges & there was a gap instead. So I cleaned it (soap & water & then acetone for the old glue) Then I made the feeble attempt to stretch it - pictured above. Then I cleaned it again & reglued without stretching. It seals well now. I'll snap a picture . . .

Ian
Old 07-25-2005, 09:50 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

In this 'slightly fuzzy' pic, you see the gasket swinging tightly around the corner to disappear underneath. It seals well with the trunk lid under the tail. The other part of the tail is yes - raised - above the seam & fender.

Old 07-25-2005, 09:54 PM
Real
Instructor

Thanks Ian, I'll let you know how it goes. Still have to paint the spoiler after holes drilled. Post some pics of your Cab and I'll do the same.
Thanks again. Mike

Quick Reply: 911 whale tail retro question