Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Early S Front Bumper Chin Splitter - development

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 09:22 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Post Early S Front Bumper Chin Splitter - development

Here's my chin splitter assembly, roughed in with masking tape as a fastener. The new ducts are for the front brakes.

Any thoughts on what its weak points are going to be? I'm planning on running some supports from the leading edge of the lip up to the bumper.

Also, anyone have suggestions for a good adhesive for bonding fiberglass to fiberglass?
Old 09-17-2002, 01:33 PM
dgustafson
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This website may help with fiberglass bonding needs: <a href="http://www.fibreglast.com/" target="_blank">http://www.fibreglast.com/</a>
Old 09-22-2002, 10:18 PM
Series 900
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Jack, good looking mock up, I would suggest leaving it a bolt on part , damaging a bonded splitter would be harder to replace/repair. Unless you would like to make mold of the entire spoiler/splitter.From this point you need to bondo it up, wax it, spray it with Polyvinyl alcohol, then gelcote, apply glass, let cure. Now you have the mold. wet sand and buff if you like, apply wax, spray PVA for the first couple of pulls, spray gel, lay glass, after a couple , start doing them in CB fiber....you may want to start with a simpler part for your venture into frp fabrication, But I will help you with any questions. Secondary bonding of frp is "best" with an epoxy, polyester resins will work. Polyester likes to bond best in a tacky state of two parts, epoxy will bond well after both Polyester parts have cured. Reinforcing the splitter from folding would be possible by making the rear extend further under the front pan, and maybe clean up a little air too! keep pushin...
Old 09-24-2002, 05:06 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks. I kept it real simple... and won first in class in a time trial at California Speedway this weekend.

The following users liked this post:
Superdave312 (08-21-2020)

Quick Reply: Early S Front Bumper Chin Splitter - development