Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

12 way Power seat jam up!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002 | 07:56 PM
Dr.Chris
Advanced

Post 12 way Power seat jam up!!!

What can I do to get my Passenger seat to go back again?? It is stuck in the extreme forward positiion. Not any of the 3 buttons are doing anything. After checking that the FUSE is OK I'm Out of ideas. I have a 1991 C2T and it is becoming a one seater until you guys come up with something. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Old 09-16-2002 | 11:48 PM
MTodd
Track Day

This happened to me after a friend adjusted the seat in my 88.

I too check fuses with no luck. I took the seat out (with newly acquired allen socket) and reversed the switch with the other power switch in the seat to see if it was a bad switch --- and it was.

So, after a trip to Sears to buy the allen socket, battle with almost stripped head to remove seat, 1 hour drive each way to/from Porsche dealer, $30 bucks for the switch and virtually an entire Saturday, it was back to operating.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-17-2002 | 09:26 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Dr Chris. If you have an extra switch, check to see if it solves the problem, do that first.

For the following, you will have to remove the seat. I was able to lay the seat over toward the center of the car and expose the seat mechanisms so I could activate the switches.

I had a similar experience with my 88 Carrera passenger seat. It was pushed all the way back and would not move forward even when I used another switch that I knew was working adequately. On my seat there is a screw drive mechanism that rotates to move the seat forward and back. I found the screw on one side was pushed hard against the back of the mounting bracket and had compressed the small black washer that is on the end of the shaft. It had so much pressure on it that it wouldn't break loose on it's own. What I did was to wrap a rag around the shaft and use a small pair of pliers to grip the screw shaft and then rotate it the opposite direction to break it loose. Once I got it freed up, I checked the black rubber washer and found it to be crushed and falling apart. To correct this without dismantling the entire seat, I found some rubber hose the correct diameter as the washer and made it a little longer than the old dimensions on the washer (thicker). I then carefully cut the hose at a 45 degree angle so I could pull it open and put it around the end of the screw where the black washer used to be. I used epoxy to glue the cut edges and let it set overnight. what this did was allow a little extra space so the screw wouldn't bottom out when actuated all the way to the rear. I know this is a temporary fix and when something else fails and I have to dismantle the seat, I will replace all the parts while in there. I have the parts, but won't do it until absolutely necessary. Just check to make sure the mechanism is not jammed all the way forward. The only other problem may be the switch. After 34 years of driving and working on my Porsches, I always do the simple tests first. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 12 way Power seat jam up!!!