Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Steve W chip question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 12:53 AM
Gost
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steve W chip question

Wondering which chip is most commonly purchased from 911chips.com as far as the octane rating. I have the pre-muffler/sport muffler combination and he offers a 91 and 93 octane chip. How much of a difference performance wise is there between the two? Has anyone run both with the same engine set up? Wondering if there is an upper RPM range difference say above 4.5K. I usually always put either 92 or 93 in the car anyway which I now realize was a waste of money as the car is supposed to run fine on 87/89 and due to stock mapping can't realize the benefits of higher octane.

Thanks for your experiences!
Old 07-20-2005, 08:57 AM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do not have dyno results of running the two different SW chips you mentioned. I have been running Steve's chip that is programed for 93 octane, since 93 is available here in the Mid-Atlantic. I also have the 28-pin chip with the 8k ROM; Steve upgraded my mother board in the DME to accept the higher performance chip. Like you, I also have the euro pre-muffler and sport muffler.

The combination of the 93 programmed chip and the 28-pin, 8k chip makes for a very spirited ride! I will be taking my car to a local dyno on August 6th to get some emperical data to support my assumptions.

I would suggest you ask your question to Steve directly since he is very responsive and will give you an honest answer. I would have to think that the 93 octane chip would have a slight edge over the 91 chip due to a little more timing advance, but I do not know if it is enough difference to "feel" the increased performance.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:37 PM
Gost
Instructor

Thanks for your input Bruce. I actually purchased his 91 chip, wasn't aware there were other octane options, and don't feel any difference on the top end above 4.5K rpm. Steve attests that this is because the delivery of power starts so much sooner in the low/mid range and is a much smoother delivery which is why I don't experience that kick/rush on the top end. True the power does come on so much sooner and is smooth as all hell but I really liked that kick/rush with the stock chip and was wondering if the 93 chip would make some difference. He offers to replace chips at no cost.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:15 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

of course you'll get more power out of a 93 chip, 91 chip is meant for ME here in CA where all that is readily availible IS 91, unless I want to fill up at the Unocal 76 with 100 for $5.73 a gallon
Old 07-20-2005, 01:22 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"I do not know if it is enough difference to "feel" the increased performance." - BER -

He's provided the proper insight!

As Pete Zimmermann and others who have been involved with Porsches for many years
will indicate, installing a performance chip is equivalent to re-adjusting the distributor
on a 911SC with marginal results & problematic issues occurring, e.g. idling & pinging.
Nothing really new here, just using a PC versus a 13mm box wrench.

Even using a higher octane during a very hot day may/will result in pinging
and engine damage. As can be seen from the data of various chips
( www.systemsc.com/tests.htm ), the timing is "pushed" beyond what
Porsche considers the max. for a 911.

Furthermore, most/all chip suppliers have NOT fully tested their chips under all
driving conditions to fully determine what the real octane values are. The octane
numbers being quoted are more marketing hype as are the performance numbers.

Bottomline:
To have to quote different octane chip types, is an acknowledgement by the
chip suppliers that they have a problem with pinging.

Last edited by Lorenfb; 07-20-2005 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:52 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

For the record, I have never made the statement that Loren credits me with. My former clientele relied on me and my staff to keep their stock 911s running at their best. Whenever the subject of chips came up I told that customer to do his homework, make his purchase without my approval or disapproval, and we would install his new chip for him. We would then check his fuel mixture and timing, and if we felt that the car would operate properly we turned it over to its owner with a few words of caution. Me or my shop never endorsed a particular chip, nor did we discourage their use.
Pete
Old 07-20-2005, 04:11 PM
Gost
Instructor

OK. I know there have been issues with certain chips. I am under the impression that Steve Wong's chips are done a bit differently to reduce the likely hood of engine damage and that's why his chips have had such huge success. I love the bottom and mid range increase his 91 chip has given me, it's very noticeable and apleasure to drive the car this way. I drive the car from early spring tp early winter only. Would the hot weather months be best suited with the 91 or the 93 chip? If there is no difference in warm weather operation then I would swap the 91 for the 93 and get as much out of the chip as possible. Also I am wondering if you have a tank of gas treated with Techron would that effect the quality/octane of the fuel in the tank. I did this before I installed the chip and am just wondering what it's effects would be if any on the fuel.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-20-2005, 04:31 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

OK, its been awhile since we all got to trash Loren on his chip trash taliking, how many posts unitll this thread is locked and deleted? anyone wanna bet?

Dont let him discourage you, chipping is nolonger in its infancy, and cars run perfectly fine with more power for hundereds of thousands of miles with them, My GTI has infact had a chip in it for years and about 90K miles and it runs just as good as the day I put it in, infact the new VW 2.0FSI motor gains 80 (yes EIGHTY is what I said) horse power with just a chip alone bringing their 2.0 four cylinder to 996 trashing ability for $500.

Techron additive wont hurt anything and aslong as you run the highest octane availible, you will be fine regardless of outside temp.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:56 PM
Gost
Instructor

Thanks fixnprsh, I am leaning towards swapping for the 93 chip. I am not worried about damaging my engine at all. The responses to Steve W's chip are overwhelmingly positive, I'm just a kick in the *** junkie is all. Love that turbo engagement feeling....who doesn't.
I am kinda new to both this and Pelicans board and am not familiar with the history of it's members but I am realizing quickly that there are some serious animosities floating around. I would ignore anyone who may twist a nipple although I realize at times this is difficult. I've read some pretty strong threads the past day or so and it's ashame that things get that way. If I don't agree with a comment then I state it and choose to agree that we disagree, simple and brain energy is conserved.
I don't pass judgement on anyone unless they put words in my mouth, then it's all bet's off, but everyone is entitled to their opinions.
Hey thanks for your input, you've given me spot-on advice in the past and I appreciate it!

Safe motoring!

Gordon
Old 07-20-2005, 05:23 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

even Bruce Anderson steered a question re 3.2 motronic chips to the direction of 911chips.com in the latest excellence.

Just stick with the name brand gas suppliers (who don;t buy off the open market) and you should be fine...

Loren is fine. He brings up some good points - and his opinions are his opinions... just like everybody else.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:32 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

fixn: Speakin' of chips, is there anything out there that can help my 2002 325 Ci coupe? Yeah, I know, now this thread is completely hijacked, BMW for cryin' out loud!
Pete

Gordon: A couple weeks and a lot of threads ago we had a discussion about tire pressures - 29F/34R vs 29F/36R. At the time I thought that you drove an SC, asked that, but don't recall getting an answer. Now I see you involved with a chip discussion, so you obviously don't have an SC! Which, of course, makes you dead on correct about your pressures being 29F/36R. Keep the shiny side up!
Pete
Old 07-20-2005, 06:16 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

And by the way, in all fairness to Loren it's been at least 6 years since we've spoken face to face. I fully realize that he's deeply involved in the Porsche world, works with many, many technicians, and it's entirely possible that someone did say what he quoted, it just wasn't me. Loren turns out the best rebuilt 911 alternators on the planet, his work with ECUs, etc. is excellent, and he helped my shop get through a number of tough-to-diagnose electrical glitches on various cars. I didn't mean to be harsh with my above comment, if anyone took it that way I apologize.
Pete
Old 07-20-2005, 06:42 PM
Gost
Instructor

Hi pete, yes I remember that post. I ended up getting the Yokohama AVS ES100 Fronts 205/55/16 Rears 225/50/16 and am running 32 in front and 34 psi in rear and it seems to be working just fine.
Loren seems to be knowledgeble and brings up alot of valid points and they are his opinions which as I said he is entitled to. His delivery can be awkward at times is all.
I'm thinking to go 93 chippie and see how that works. Could always switch back.
Thanks fellas
Old 07-20-2005, 06:48 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Pete, you got to bolt on some stuff to get power out of the six, a chip and intake will pick you up like 8-10 horse at the wheels for $700-$800! then you need to get the power pulleys, and exhaust for $1000 for like another 10 horsepower, so its not cheap. BUT.................... you can call my friend at VF and for $4500 get a vortec charger kit at 6 psi that will give you probably close to another 100hp, those sixes do a wonderful job with an iron lung hung on them!
Old 07-20-2005, 08:55 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

YIKES! I think that I'll be happy with my nice little air conditioned car until I can afford a 330, or maybe an M. It's only 110 here today, gasp! But that's better than Palm Springs! Thanks for the info!
Pete

Quick Reply: Steve W chip question