Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Removing and Installing Fender Beading

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 11:22 AM
redidrum
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Removing and Installing Fender Beading

Anyone ever Removed and Installed the beading that is at the r/h and l/h front window corners to fender and the ones at the r/h and l/h rear quarter panel to bumper? I'm ordering them from Pelican.

These are the little black rubber pieces about 8" to 10" long.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 07-13-2005, 08:55 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, I' ve done it. Not too big a job, but you have to stretch the fingers to loosen the three (I think) bolts at the top of the fender. Then, just pull out the old, slip in the new, frequently checking the alignment as you tighten the bolts again.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:27 AM
redidrum
Pro

Dave,

Thanks. I was wondering if I could just heat them up and pull. Looks like the side bolts hold them in. I haven't received the new ones yet. Hard to picture how they look.

Ron
Old 07-18-2005, 03:12 PM
steve911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Fender beading

Ron--
I did this a few years ago. You'll need to LOOSEN the first 3-4 bolts (10mm I think) inside the front trunk (starting near the windshield). No need to remove them. There are also two 5 or 5.5mm (don't quite remember) allen head bolts that are INSIDE the fender. Open the door and shine a light in the cavity -- you'll see them up there. Suggest you get the ball-ended allen wrenches (Sears) - makes it much easier to loosen them since you can't get at them directly. LOOSEN these, but again do not remove them.

Once the bolts are loosened, GENTLY use a plastic spatula/window scraper to pry/pull the old beading out. I sprayed some WD-40 to get some lubrication and loosen up some of the accumulated debris. You'll be amazed at how much gunk is in there! Clean it all out before you attempt to install the new beading.

BTW, there are two different width beadings - thicker for Turbos, thinner for all others.

Lubricate the new beading before installing. I remember that someone suggested cutting about a 1/2" off the bottom of the new beading to ease the installation. The fit is pretty tight down there. I had to work mine in to get the proper fit, but it really makes a difference.

Here's some links from Pelican

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ight=cowl+seal

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...fender+beading

Hope this helps.

Last edited by steve911; 07-18-2005 at 03:18 PM. Reason: More info

Quick Reply: Removing and Installing Fender Beading