Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Steering wheel shakes at 70 + MPH, what could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 08:17 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rotate the wheels one lug in either direction to see if you get imporvement. You have a bit of a puzzle in front of you though, as with 4 wheels being suspect, the possibilities are too numerous to try without making a spreadsheet. The problem is that you are not even certain about the wheels being still in balance anyway. Seek help and learn what is right for your car and your wheels. Your suspension is worth looking into also. Just make sure it is OK.
Just don't take it to a local tire shop and waste your time & money, take it somewhere that is knowledgeable and capable of doing the job.

"The single largest way to spend way too much money on your Porsche is by having to do things twice." - Dan Cobb

+++
Old 07-10-2005, 09:59 PM
Julia
Instructor

The tire shop that put the new tires on is a sponser of our PCA club. They do a lot of Porsches. I will have them check the balance, see how that goes. When they installed the tires 2 months ago and I got my alignment, the car drove like a dream. It wasn't until I took all the wheels off that I noticed this problem. I did see the drivers front tire only had one weight on it and I can't remember if that is all it had when I painted the wheels. Can the weights come off? If that is not the problem, then off to Franks Automotive (ace P-car mechanic in Sac) and have them figure it out.

I have another Councours next weekend in Carmel and it's a long drive, so I want the problem solved.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:07 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

- yes the wts. can fly off
- try moving one front wheel at a time by by one bolt each time - you won't have to go to the gym

It's a shame you are being forced to go to Carmel... maybe you can go to Barstow next time...
Old 07-11-2005, 12:48 AM
Julia
Instructor

I know, Carmel is a hardship, but somebody has to do it. It's a real pitty we have to stay in my husband's aunt's guest house that is perched on a Monterey hillside that overlooks the bay and you can hear Laguna Seca Raceway from the deck! We''l take the back roads that drop into Carmel Valley from her house.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:44 AM
werksmini
6th Gear

If you remember hitting and potholes or anything, you could have a bent wheel that wouldnt be affected by balancing. I think you would notice something like that though as it would most likely be visable.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:47 PM
Julia
Instructor

After the tour is when I took the wheels off and they are in great shape. I did scrub the insides and could have scrubbed off balancing weights. He is at the tire place right now and they will check the balance. If that doesn't fix it, off to Frank's!
Old 07-11-2005, 09:58 PM
Julia
Instructor

Well, the tire shop rebalanced the wheels and it didn't change a thing, darn it! I have an appointment Friday morning at Frank's to see what the problem is. We leave Saturday morning at 6:00 am for Monterey. All my concours prep work needs to be done before Thursday now!!
Old 07-11-2005, 10:11 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

if the indexing thing doesn't work it might be time to have the tires shaved

how old is the rubber in the suspension, BTW?
Old 07-11-2005, 10:41 PM
redtdi96
Instructor

I spent a long time chasing the high speed wobble.
New wheels, tires. It turned out to be front bearings....10$ item.
There was really no play in them, but when you rolled the wheels by hand slow you could hear a verty slight growl.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:56 AM
Julia
Instructor

Tires shaved? First I've heard of that. I don't know how old the rubber in the suspension is. I could try another indexing since the weight balance issue is solved. I'm guessing it is anyway. Tomorrow I will do my favorite thing and jack him up again and turn the wheels to a different lug. Not sure if they put them back to the one I painted, I better go look at that!

In 1998 he had new motor mounts, C.V. gaskets, aluminum flywheel, front suspension was checked, new clutch cable, clutch bushing, short shift, seals, plus numerous other parts that the 3rd owner had done at S-CAR-GO RACING in San Rafael.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:07 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

I asked about the brake hoses before - that's the critical safety issue - be sure they are < 5 years old.

It may be time to replace all the rubber in the suspension too. It will ride a lot better and handle a lot better - both. You may be getting dirty soon...

But for now - try the reindexing and see how it goes.

Shaving will make sure the tires are really round - if they are fairly new you might contact the tire manf. and see if they will check the tires out or replace them.

You can also find a shop with the Hunter Road Force machines (search for a thread on Pelican re that) - it is the ultimate in tire/wheel balancing. Sac should have a couple somewhere. Here, the BMW dealer has one.

Good Luck.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:19 AM
Julia
Instructor

After you mentioned the brakes with the last issue I had (you are so good!), I had them checked and they were fine. I just checked the indexing and they put the drivers wheel on correct with the valve stem to the red lug, but the passenger side is not. I will do that in the morning and go for a ride and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for all the help and good advice. I am proudly displaying my rennlist sticker in my drivers rear quarter window now!
Old 07-12-2005, 07:39 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Agreed on the Road Force, Randy. Had my other car's tires done there, excellent balancing, a bit pricier than other places, but worth it.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel shakes at 70 + MPH, what could it be?