Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Hand Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 03:33 PM
rsthomas49
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand Throttle

The hand throttle on my 73 911T has stopped working. It does move the throttle linkage at the carbs (Weber conversion), but barely. How do I go about adjusting this? Is the hand throttle connected into the accelerator petal?

Thanks for the help!!

Rick Thomas
1973 911T
Old 07-09-2005, 11:13 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There should be a rubber "foot" connected to the end of the lever. The foot disintegrates over time and I think you have to take out the hand brake assembly to replace it. It hits a "stop" attached to the throttle linkage just behind the hand brake.....If I remember correctly, mine stopped working years ago!
Old 07-10-2005, 09:48 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a sliding, round metal piece that rides on the throttle cable (actually it's a rod) with a set screw in it. If the above-mentioned plastic "shoe" has broken replace that, if the shoe is still OK grind down a screwdriver tip (start with a long, thin flat blade) until it fits the set screw slot PERFECT, loosen it and put it where it needs to be (don't make the screw too loose, just enough so the little round part can slide on the throttle rod). Shine a flashlight into the oval hole in the top of the tunnel, to the left of the base of the handbrake handle mounting plate (you'll find it when you unsnap and lift the floor carpet between the seats), move the gas pedal a little and you'll see how it works. Be sure, before you adjust it, that you're getting full throttle and that there is no play at the gas pedal! If you have a linkage problem you'll be chasing your tail trying to adjust the hand throttle.
Pete
Old 07-12-2005, 08:05 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pete has it right as usual - it's an easy adjustment to make - don't remember having to grind down any tools to do the job but it is a narrow slot for the screwdriver.

PJC
Old 07-12-2005, 11:36 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

PJC: The reason that I suggest "making" a perfect-fit screwdriver is because I've run across enough of those screws that were both super-tight and slot-damaged, which turns the job into a miserable pain, that avoiding that situation is a good thing! Believe it or not, after scrounging around in Snap On, MAC and other tool trucks, as well as the occasional Sears, I've never found a screwdriver to fit that innocent looking little screw!
Pete

Quick Reply: Hand Throttle