Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

questions after valve adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 08:21 PM
sanchez
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post questions after valve adjustment

I just completed a valve adjustment on my 1981 911SC. The engine runs and revs much smoother, but seems to be louder than before. Could my valves have been adjusted too tightly by the last owner? Is "looser" better for performance? I adjusted the rockers to factory specs (.10mm).

Todd
1981 911SC
Old 11-19-2002, 06:11 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Do you mean that the "clicking/tapping" sound is louder? If you adjusted them and it seemed that you had to back off a few or a substantial amount of the adjusters...then that sounds feasible.

How snug was your gauge when you adjusted your valves to your standards? ...the proper measurement leaves the gauge fairly snug in between the valve stem and "elephant foot" (adjuster).

A good valve adjustment after a considerable period of non-adjustment should make for a smoother running engine. I don't think the "clicking/tapping" sound of the valves should increase though...although a normal "tapping" sound is healthy.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:25 PM
sanchez
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you, Jeff. The valves were all "tight". I backed out the adjustment screw and tightened back to .10mm. I'm quite happy with the difference it made. My engine feels much stronger off idle and just keeps building. Before, it felt "tight". My only concern was the possibility of the valves being too "loose".

Thanks again for the reply!

Todd
1981 911SC
Old 11-19-2002, 09:38 PM
RANDY P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
better slightly loose than tight. Too tight = burned valves. Mine were done recently and it sounded kinda like scissors snipping. (Weird analogy, I know.)

rjp

Quick Reply: questions after valve adjustment