Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fabspeed catbypass/euro pre muffler

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 05:06 PM
Gost
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fabspeed catbypass/euro pre muffler

I just put the fabspeed muffler bypass on connected to my stock cat and am looking to add the Fabspeed catbypass as well. Too loud with the muffler bypass. Anyone have one willing to part with? For an 85 3.2L.

Gost
Old 07-06-2005, 06:05 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

FYI, it's not going to get quieter with the Euro Premuffler, honestly.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Gost
Instructor

Hi Fred, I thought that and read that it should be quieter. The Fabspeed site has a video/sound clip with my engine and the cat and muffler bypass on and it sounds nice. I believe that the stock cat has very little muffling capacity as it's primary purpose is for catalytic functions and the Fabspeed bypass is the opposite with all muffling. In fact I spoke to them and they said it's really a euro pre-muffler that just functions as a catbypass. I've read extensively on this and pelicans forums and that info seems to concur although there is always debate on what sounds good.
Why do you say that it won't be quieter? Not questioning your expertise Fred just curious as to why you think that.

Thanks
Old 07-06-2005, 07:15 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think that, even with a quieter pre-muffler, the results are not going to be dramatic over the set-up you currently have. We have locals here with the Fabspeed products, and they are loud. Ditto the B & B products with their bypasses. In fact, I have SSIs and a single outlet Monty, and it's pretty raucous (but in a good way!).
Old 07-07-2005, 12:14 AM
Gost
Instructor

I guess I'll find out, just ordered it and should be here on Friday. If too loud again I'll keep the bypass and search for a nice sounding muffler and keep the muffler bypass as a momento. I'll post how it sounds this weekend. I've got to locate a new cheap O2 sensor by the weekend as well and SS hardware. I better get cranking.

thanks for your input
Old 07-07-2005, 12:21 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

I love everything about the Pre-Muffler & Bypass except the db level - wish I could lose about 5-10db. The tone & even the backfire pop are fantastic.

I didn't run the cat w/ bypass dump, but if you think about it, the cat is larger and more restrictive, which usually quiets things down a little more than an open pipe straight through.

I didn't notice all that much of a db loss with the turn-down attached either, FWIW.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:28 AM
Gost
Instructor

I installed the Fabspeed pre-muffler and muffler bypass last night and took her out for a spin today. I LOVE it!!! It sounds so agressively intimidating when I get on it and has this put you in a Zen state of mind when cruising at 3K rpm. It does sound a tad louder than the Fabspeed video/sound clip but I anticipated that as it's a given. There is a very noticable difference (quieter) than with the muffler bypass alone. I will play with the car for the summer like this and shop around for a freeflow muffler to tack on to smooth it out even more. Yes the backfire pop is awesome as well. It's just loud enough without grabbing the authorities attention. You could drive around all day keeping it under 4K RPM an no one would be offended but above that it screams like a Viper. The Fabspeed bypass combo is FAB-U-LOUS!

Quick Reply: Fabspeed catbypass/euro pre muffler