Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Car was Hit!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 11:17 AM
caelumblue
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Car was Hit!!!!

MY 1985 911 carrera was hit behind the driver side rear tire. I though I was going to cry. I dont know much about body repair and it appears that there is space between the body and the engine, busted the turning light/tail light and slightly bent the bumper. The car is drivable and the trunk lid isnt even bent. Does anyone know a good body shop in central NJ and does anyone have any advice about how to proceed??? Thanks in advance.

sad owner
Old 09-16-2002, 07:53 PM
Dennis in SE PA
Advanced

OUCH! Sorry to hear. I know a top shelf shop in Reading, PA
Old 09-16-2002, 08:39 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Dear Sad Owner,

The other person wasn't my girlfriend, was it? She backed into me after leaving her house early 5:00 AM...she was down the block, stopped, backed up 200ft to the front of her house, and used the quarter panel of my car to help her stop. She came in the bedroom crying, I rolled over and asked her if I could still drive it? Yep. Comforted her, told her to go to work and went back to sleep. Got up later and saw what you described, but she didn't hit the bumper, but the flare and tire.

Now the body shop had to remove my rear glass...on a targa it's a major job. There was a slight crease in the sheet metal that required this removal. After that it was your normal repair. Be sure they paint the entire rear end. Look for structual damage, my accident wasn't as major as yours, apparently...mine mostly cosmetic. Get photos ASAP for any documentation. Visit daily the shop you finally chose to keep up on the quality control. I got the targa bar repaint gratis and they discovered a little rust under the window seal...all in all it wasn't a big deal....$2500 total w/ $500 deductible. My car looks good and my girlfriend is treating me better.....
Old 09-17-2002, 01:18 PM
pbs911
Instructor

Sorry to hear this. Mine was hit a few months ago.

I suggest you take it to several body shops that specialize in Porsches and other high end cars. Get written estimates and provide them to the insurance company person when they assess the damages. Chances are they have worked with body shop before and will respect their estimate. Provide the insurance company with the most comprehensive estimate because they will chop it down.
Also, now that a car in an accient sufferes a diminution in value. I wrote BA about mine and he responded the value decreased about 15-20%. You deserve compensation for this as well. If you file a claim against your own policy you are likely precluded from diminution in value. Check the policy for repair the car to "like new" condition. Third-party claimants are entitled to diminution in value since there is no contract language limiting damages.

Finally, if you were in a car, go to a doctor. A 10mph rear end is like being sucker punched by a prize fighter and being knocked unconscious. No kidding.

Quick Reply: Car was Hit!!!!