Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The lure of the Dark Side

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 12:40 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

Don't forget... there are options out there for track day insurance. I have mine thru American Collectors. I eas even fortunate enough to have my street policy cover me at my last Drivers Ed Event at Road America. $13k payout. Read your current policy carefully. I have had some that simply exclude any use at a facility designed for racing and I have had some that exclude only racing or timed events.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:51 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No options in NJ for track insurance, unfortunately. We are one of a couple of states where it is prohibited by law (don't ask...it's nuts).

Regarding SC track cars, I love my SC on the track! Great balance, tons of fun, and especially gratifying when you catch and pass cars that you really have no right to be catching! I annoyed several 964 owners at Pocono last weekend, I'm sure. They do like the SSI/74 exhaust, though...with stock pipes, the power is sorely lacking. I prefer the lighter SC over the heavier Carreras.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:22 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

SC and 3.2 are very similar. Both tremendous cars. The later 3.6 cars certainly are faster in virtually all respects, and more predictable cars to drive, but IMHO the more raw and direct nature of the earlier cars makes them subjectively more "fun" to drive... but purely a matter of taste (and rationalizing from a guy who, lets face it, can;t affort the later cars).

Also, once you get comfortable with these cars, the throttle steering can save youir bacon if you hit a corner too early or hot.... just the right lift will rotate the car and get you back on line where you might plough right off the track in a more neutral car.... BUT... this is something done very intentionally and only after ALOT of experience.... lifting in panic is bad, Bad, BAD.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:22 AM
hmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Gregory
You probably already know that to maximize your dollar investment, you'll want to find a 3.2 Carrera that has already enjoyed some track-friendly upgrades, ie, a rollbar/cage, Bilstein shocks, thicker torsion bars, cooling for the front brakes, cloth seats with shoulder harness cutouts, and harnesses.
I bought a 75 with a 84 ROW 3.2, 915 gb with short ratios, Konis adjustable shocks, front 22mm rear 30mm torsion bars, sway bars (through the body), full 6 points cage, short shift kit, SSI, boxster calipers front and rears, full respray, race seats etc, dual master cylinders with bias adjustment ....

The few things missing are LSD, better brake (still got fluid fade after 4 laps), muffler.

Old 08-15-2005, 09:35 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree that the 964 is a better base for a track car (primarily due to the suspension adjustability, brakes, and HP), but it is not correct to say that it costs less to maintain.

On the track, brakes and tires are the biggest expense, and bigger tires, and brake pads and rotors cost way more for a C2. Combine that with a higher compression ratio (octane need), and double the tune up costs. Then if you need to replace any lenses, glass, or body parts it is again no contest.

Alan

Quick Reply: The lure of the Dark Side