Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Targa Emblem Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 10:59 AM
redidrum
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Targa Emblem Removal

Anyone know if the Targa emblem on the rollbar of my 82' 911sc is taped on or if it has those little rubber nuts on the back ? Access to the back ? I've heard that guys have taken them off with dental floss. Don't want to tear it up before painting.

My cars drives like new with new A/C, Injectors, Fuel Accumulator, and entire brake upgrade.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 06-29-2005, 12:10 PM
Cesar Munoz
Intermediate

Redidrum,
The Targa emblems have 2 nuts behind the Targa cover. Last year when I replaced the Targa and door seals, I had the cover repainted. You do not have to remove the rear seal to remove the cover, even though there are screws behind the seal (pull back the seal a bit and you'll see what I mean). Also, there are 2 nuts holding the cover down that can be accessed via the wheel wells. There will be lots of dirt but you will find them all the way up at the top of the wheel wel towards the front.
Good luck,
Phatnine11
Old 06-29-2005, 12:50 PM
Tom 993tt
Instructor

Ron,

The dental floss proceedure is for removing the Carrera script from the rear deck lid.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:00 PM
redidrum
Pro

Cezar,

Are you sure that you are talking about the Targa emblems above the door handle ? Seems too far fwd to access from the rear wheel well. I should pull the fwd. seal up a little and I'll see them ? So, the Targa roll bar has a removable cover ? I just want to repaint it. It would be nice to remove the entire piece. Difficult to picture when the cars is home and I'm at work. I should never ask questions whenn I'm not close by the car.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 06-29-2005, 02:20 PM
Cesar Munoz
Intermediate

Redidrum,
Yeah, there are 2 nuts on each side of the Targa bar. The piece that you see is a cover of the bar. The cover has 2 studs that are threaded and fit through the fenders, these are right behind the rear door jams. Once you remove one of the rear tires, you will be able to see these nuts way up there. If you are also installing new seals, the biggest hassle is getting the old glue off. There is also a rubber bead that runs along the rear window from side to side. This bead has a metal frame that slips onto the edge of the Targa top, very easy to remove. And last, there is a small piece of trim that runs along the base of the Targa top from end to end. This piece also has a few nuts on it that need to be removed. The trim can be left on the car, but must be loose enough to pull the cover off
Good luck,
Cesar Munoz
Old 06-29-2005, 03:49 PM
redidrum
Pro

Cezar,

Damn! That sounds like work! All I want to do is remove the emblem and paint the roll bar exterior skin. I'll just wait until I have the car painted.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 07-01-2005, 12:39 AM
quattrorunner
Instructor

It's not as bad as it seems

Quick Reply: Targa Emblem Removal