Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Targa top seals

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 11:25 AM
contric
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Targa top seals

I just purchased an 81 SC Targa, notice that the top is leaking slighly on the driver and passanger sides. Can some one tell me about replacing the seals on the top, cost, difficulty, what are they really called. If I go thru this process will the wind noise decrease and will the car be weather proof.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:40 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The Targa is a "fair-weather" car. Most leak a little, a few don't. They have more wind noise than a coupe, and always will. The side seals that the door windows close against are tricky. The upper stops for the windows usually require adjustment, then you can assess what you've got. What part of the country are you in (I've got a great referral in SoCal)?
Pete
Old 06-28-2005, 12:23 PM
contric
2nd Gear

I am located in Portland Oregon.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:11 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Call Steve W. (Rennsport Systems), I'm sure that he can provide 1st class assistance...
Pete
Old 06-28-2005, 05:35 PM
Wayne Williams
Advanced

Hey C!!,

Welcome to the world of Porsche ownership!!

This was my first job on my 82 Targa and I must say it was an easy job. Pete is right about the lateral seals along the tops of the side windows - they need a lot of adjusting.

I replaced all the seals - lateral, front bar/windshield and rear hoop seal - still get some wind noise though - but not enough to drown that flat 6!!!!

Another tip, make sure it is the seals that are leaking - mine were shot and I thought these were the source of leaks - but, upon replacement it was still leaking (!!). I found the 2 bottom corners of the windshield to be the culprits - new seal - no leaks!!! - it was actually running of the corners of the dash and on to the floor directly beneath where the targa roof seals with the quarter light!

Mine still leaks a little water in but nothing major - and for the UK weather, that ain't bad!!!

Best of Luck and enjoy your new car (p.s listen to Pete Zimmerman - the man is legend!!!)
Old 06-28-2005, 05:50 PM
redidrum
Pro

Mine has no leaks. Had the top recovered and used a little trick in the fwd corners. Sealed with black rtv and used slicone/ vaseline on them and closed the doors tight. Let set for a few days and all is good. I was told last night by a friend that the corner windows can be adjusted up and down.

Quick Reply: Targa top seals