Battery Mount and AC Condensor Fan

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 10:09 PM
87 Carrera Jeff
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Mount and AC Condensor Fan

Hi...new poster here!

I just resurrected my '87 Carrera Coupe from another year+ stashed away in the garage. After probably five replacements in the last 5 years and 5k miles, I replaced the monster OEM battery with an Optima red top. I hope to get a few more miles out of this one than all of the others combined!

My questions:

1 -- Is there an off-the-shelf adapter to mount an Optima in the stock battery location, or has anybody fabricated one before? I'm thinking about a piece of aluminum that could clamp into the stock brackets and have brackets mounted on top to clamp the bottom of the Optima.

2 -- I need a new AC condensor blower motor and housing...mine's toast after many battery r&r's. I can't seem to find this in the catalogs...where's the best place to get a good used one?

TIA for your help!

-- Jeff
Old 06-27-2005, 10:32 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I cannot help you with the AC issue, but I just did the Optima swap.
If you are lucky, the 87 has additional holes (already tapped even!) that are 2-3 inches away from the original mounting point. I used a piece of rectangular ABS and marked the holes through the bottom of the Optima and then aligned it to the mounting hole in the car.
I then attached the optima to the board, and stuck the whole enchilada in the car and it is held in place by the original bolt (in a previously unused hole).

You can buy an adapter plate from Performance Products (possibly other vendors as well) for about $35.

Do a search in the 911 forum for "Optima" and you will find a decent pic of a similar adapter made by another member.
+++
Old 06-27-2005, 10:32 PM
Ducboy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, AJ USA sells an adapter kit for the optima battery, it works quite nicely. You may need to extend, (I think), the negative cable. It has been a few years since i did this. I have deep cycled the optima once or twice now, but comes back great on a batteyr tender, whcih I keep it on now.

As far as the front condenser blower assembly, I haven't priced new recently, however Partsheaven might be worth a try for a used unit.

regards,
Old 07-03-2005, 10:12 AM
87 Carrera Jeff
6th Gear

Thanks for the responses...I think I'll go with the AJ adapter and keep looking for the fan & housing
Old 07-05-2005, 03:28 AM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call Dave or Jeremy at TRE Motorsports in North Hollywood, California. I think Dave recently posted that he has a good used condenser blower.

If that doesn't work, try Parts Heaven in Hayward (?), California, or LA Porsche Dismantlers in Sun Valley, California.

If all else fails, try Pelican Parts or Vertex for a new one.

One of these sources is bound to have what you need.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Battery Mount and AC Condensor Fan