Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What is the dash made of/covered with in an '89 Carrera?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 10:02 AM
Lush Daddy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post What is the dash made of/covered with in an '89 Carrera?

I hear a lot of stories about 'cracked' dashes in mid to late 80's 911's....and was wondering what it's made of. Is it a vinyl dash of some sort...or is it covered in some type of leather?

The reason I ask, is that mine is in great condition now, and I was wondering what type of chemical to consistently put on it so that it doesn't every 'dry out'.

DW
Atlanta, GA
Old 01-24-2002, 10:28 AM
gerry100
Pro

If it is vinyl "Armor all" or a similiar will replace the plasticiizers and prevent/delay cracking.

The UV and heat from parking in the hot sun is the major aging factor so this should be minimzed or avoided as much as possible.

I'm pretty sure it's vinyl, but the original sticker on my '86 shows almost $2000 in leather. Seats,shifter boot, and steering wheel are leather I'm sure - but I'm not sure about the door panels and dash.

Maybe someone out there knows.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:13 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear DW,
You need to tell us your option numbers. The material used is contained in the options.
Most likely leatherette. Leather is easy to pick. Mind you, using any form of leather restorer type products will work.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 01-25-2002, 08:16 PM
steve911
Addict
Rennlist Member

DW-
I've seen postings that in a discreet place, you should heat a pin and apply it to the material. If it melts, vinyl, if not, leather.

I also heard DON'T use armor-all on the dash - it will actually serve to magnify the sun's effects. I use vinylex (made by lexol of leather fame). really good stuff on vinyl.

PS - I've got a single crack in my (vinyl) maroon dash. If anyone has any recommendations on fixing/hiding it, I'd be most appreciative.

Quick Reply: What is the dash made of/covered with in an '89 Carrera?