Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need advice on replacing front strut cartridges (shocks), please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005 | 10:32 PM
Doug E.
Track Day

Default Need advice on replacing front strut cartridges (shocks), please.

I need some advice on replacing the front strut cartridges (shock absorbers) on my 1984 911. I have unbolted the strut from the top, and have swung the strut assemble down in the wheel well. I've removed the metal dust cover from the top, and the rubber donuts.

The manuals all say that the old cartridge (a Boge, in my case) should just lift out. Mine won't budge. Is there some kind of inside-threaded cap holding them in?

Also, it looks like I should be able to remove the old strut by just undoing the brake line to swing the strut assembly down. I don't think I'll need to remove the strut tube (which would require removing the caliper, rotor, rotor shield, etc.)?

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks!
Old 06-26-2005 | 11:42 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...t=strut+insert
boge doesn't have roll pins but all the stuff about removal is there
Old 06-27-2005 | 12:30 AM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

Yes there is a cap that holds the strut in the housing. A pipe wrench should break it loose. You might want to grab the strut housing with a large channel-lok to keep it from twisting, you don't want to bend anything. There will be a seal at the top of strut tube after you remove the cap, if you can't pull the rod out try pushing first to relieve the vacuum on the seal. The oil may spray a little.
Andrew
Old 06-28-2005 | 07:38 AM
KCinBR
Intermediate

I just replaced my inserts about a month ago, first time on a Porsche. Looks like al ou need to do is remove the internally threaded cap that holds the strut in place and lift out the strut(I used a large pair of channellock pliers, pipe wrench will work also), clean out the oil and place the new insert inside the strut housing.

I would reccomend putting the top of the existing strut(the one you are removing) back in place through the top mounting point to help hold the assembly while you are loosening the cap.

Hope this helps.......this is a very easy job ......you'lll be fine

KC
Old 06-28-2005 | 11:53 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Doug: If you're fairly strong you should be able to support the strut tube with one hand while loosening the cap nut with the other (I use a giant water-pump plier). When the nut is off use a dental probe to locate and remove the rubber o-ring just inside the tube, then the internals will pull right out. Put rags between the strut and wheel to catch oil drips as you pull the old stuff out, you don't want the oil on your brakes. One last note, you might want to put duct tape along the painted lip of the fender to protect the finish if you slip!
Pete
Old 06-29-2005 | 07:57 AM
Doug E.
Track Day

Thanks for the replies, folks. You've provided very helpful information.

Regarding the cap nut you mention, I find a thin sheet metal hex cap nut. I sure doesn't seem like it will stand up to much torque, and it doesn't provide a very large surface on which to get a wrench. But I'll give it a try.

Also, a few people have mentioned draining the oil out of the strut tube once the cartridge is removed. The replacement strut is self-contained, so besides some leaking oil that may have accumulated in the tube, I'm surprised to hear there would be much oil to clean out. Is it just leaked oil you're refering to, or does the strut get disassembled somehow?

Thanks
Old 06-29-2005 | 11:41 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

You'll see the oil in the bottom of the tube after you remove the original strut insert. I use an old fashioned suction gun (Pep Boys) with a hose extension to reach the bottom of the strut tube. One or two pulls and you're done.
Pete

Quick Reply: Need advice on replacing front strut cartridges (shocks), please.