Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Running motor without the heat exchanger

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 02:54 PM
snakepitt1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Running motor without the heat exchanger

I need to check for oil leak points on my 1973 911T, 2.4L MFI. I just installed a new MFI cam seal and believe that this was the only leak point. BUT, once I install the heat exchanger, this area will be covered. My question is this... If I start the engine with out the right side heat exchanger installed, and run the engine this way for a couple of minutes to either verify no oil leaks or find the source of an undiscovered leak, will this damage the engine? I just would hate to get everything bolted back up only to find that the leak still exists or is coming from another spot covered up by the heat exchanger.
I am finishing up the work this weekend.
Thanks,
Scott
Bessemer, Alabama (just outside of Birmingham)
Old 06-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Scott: Put it together BEFORE you start it.
Pete
Old 06-25-2005, 12:20 AM
snakepitt1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am not proposing to run the motor for more than one ( 1 ) minute. This is how long it took before for the oil leak to start. I simply need to circulate the oil to recheck for leaks which would not normally be visable behind the heat exchanger. I also thought about putting in that special dye into the oil that makes finding leaks with the special light and tinted glasses easy. Anyone ever try this stuff? I do not believe it would cause damage to the engine or weaken the oil. Once the leaks (if any) are found the oil would be changed anyway.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:03 AM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are talking about running the engine w/o any exhaust on one side, i would be concnered about where the hot gasses would exit the engine compartment, perhaps buring some paint/wires on the way. I did start my 2.7 'bare' after a rebuild to check for leaks, but did not drive it. It was on stands and we ran it for about 5 minutes and looked for leaks. That seemed to be OK.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:12 PM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Pete on this one. No exhaust = a good chance of burned exhaust valves.

Quick Reply: Running motor without the heat exchanger