Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Dead Blower(s)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 04:34 PM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes I did have the footwell blower problem and I still haven't worked it out. The footwell blowers come on momentarly when they are switched on but quit in a second or two. I am guessing its another one of those unrelated coincidences that the control module went bad shortly (as in the same day) after I installed the blower, but I haven't had the chance to switch it out with a good one to see. Those little suckers aren't cheap. But since a few others have had a similar problem I am not 100% sure of my diagnosis. Someone mentioned different resistance in the after-market motor not letting the relay in the control module work correctly. Sounds like it could be a reasonable cause but I'm not an electrical engineer. On the plus side I still get plenty of heat without the footwell blowers. But I am in Atlanta, I would guess they might come in handy in Alaska though.

Andrew
Old 08-23-2005, 09:31 PM
der Mond
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Andrew,
After review of the posts about the footwell blower problem and my local rebuilder giving the verdict that the motor is not rebuildable, I just decided to bite the bullet (ouch) and order a replacement with other stuff I need from Pelican. I replaced the relay this spring because my front fresh air blower wouldn't turn off. I got the very best price on that sucker from Kenn Young at Hennnessy Porsche in Atlanta, both on cost and shipping because he was willing to send the little dude USPS. Since you're in Georgia I'd recommend Kenn to you. <kyoung@hennessyporsche.com>. I heard about him on Rennlist, by the way. I'm also replacing that front fresh air blower as well, since it starts to squeek after 10 minutes or so. "In for a penny, in for a pound" the British say. But my heart still melts when I turn the key and that magnificent 3.2 lights up. Before my fall 0W-40 oil change I plan to heat up the external oil thermostat cherry red as recommended and try to replace the oil lines. Next spring I hope to give her new rotors, Bilsteins and turbo tie rod ends before a road trip to backpack the Grand Canyon. Might sell her after that if I can't find additional income....there might be a Carrera that an obsessive-compulsive half-German Porsche lover tweaked as well as he could, on the market.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:31 PM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the tip on Kenn at Hennessy. It sounds like you are doing about everything I had to do when I bought my Carrera almost 2 years ago now (including the heater, freshair, and evaporator blower fans). Make sure you get the freshair motor and fan assembly. You can buy the motor separate but it is almost impossible to to remove the old fan from the motor without doing damage. Once you do all the suspension work it will feel like a new car. You might want to look into a set of Elephant Racing's polybronze bushings if the budget can handle it. I hope the "selling it" talk is just a bit of frustration right now and you find a way to hang on to the car when your done. You deserve to enjoy it.

Good Luck
Andrew
Old 08-24-2005, 03:41 PM
der Mond
Racer

I just called Pelican and they said the fan motor comes with the squirrel cage as an assembly; thanks for the caution. I have a "chirp" on the right front when I hit bumps; the owner needed to replace the right front tie rod end after the initial PPI and now I'm wondering if they're related. I wonder if a bushing change might help.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:53 PM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

After I did my front end including, the turbo tie rods, Bilstien Sports, monoballs, and polybronze bushings I had a little chirp also. I was the new swaybar bushings, a little white lithium grease solved the problem. Could be the same for your's.

Andrew
Old 08-24-2005, 03:59 PM
der Mond
Racer

Thanks! I'll check it out. I also made a new post about it.

Quick Reply: Dead Blower(s)