Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

AC holding a charge but doesn't blow cold.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 08:19 AM
AHEDAU
Instructor

Location: London Ontario-My Fleet:86Cab/95Coupe/ 01 Outback H6 VDC/ 01 PathfinderSE/65Beetle(Survivor)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AC holding a charge but doesn't blow cold.

What's the cheapest way to get it to function? I must retro fit it to R134A where I live as R12 hasn't been available for a few years here. One shop told me that they can do a cheap changeover by recovering the R12, replacing the accumulator, replacing the oil, adding dye and then charging the system with R134. The estimate seemed reasonable at $400 or so.

Any thoughts?

(86 Cab)
Old 06-20-2005, 10:59 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you have already do it, you'll need to replace the old hoses with barrier hoses. That cost alone could be over $500, depending on where you obtain the hoses. i would estimate that doing the job correctly with new hoses, expansion, etc., will be in the neighborhood of $1000-1200.

If your system is fully charged and no appreciable cooling, the expansion valve may be bad or clogged.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:55 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

They also need to replace the o-rings and recharge fittings.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:56 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YRMV, but I did the receiver/dryer, oil, R134, and left the OE hoss in. Yes, I had to re-charge it every year, but R134 is at least affordable. Then, a garage owning friend suggested a can of Wurth refridgerant. It contains 2 oz R134, dye and a sealer. Since putting it in, the A/C has been cooler and did not have to recharge since (was put in about exactly a year ago. $20.00 solution.

Now does your AC not blow cool enough for Florida, or not cool at all. If the latter, the cheapest way is to pay an independant shop a few $$$ to put the gauges on the system. If it is an expansion valve, plugged condensor/evaporator, etc., the problem will be instantly apparent, as will the solution, regardless of how good or bad the news might be.

I think Spider911 has givien you good info on prices.

If the former--it works but not well enough--the only solution is a better compressor and more condensor, which is not going to be cheap.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:03 AM
911pcars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest leaving any leak-detecting dyes out of the system. If there's a leak, the shop shouldn't charge it. They'll connect a vacuum pump to the system to verify it's tight and to drive off any moisture. Dye takes up volume in the system that should be reserved for refrigerant. If there's a leak, they should use an electronic refrigerant snifer to locate it.

Sherwood

Quick Reply: AC holding a charge but doesn't blow cold.