What should my asking price be 1971 T

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 08:20 PM
JJ-WI
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should my asking price be 1971 T

1971 Porsche 2.2T History Vin# 9111191179

The Porsche 1970 – 1973 are the cars that are hot right now. People want them for conversion to an RS Mod, or to race for their light weight. Decent models that are in good shape are getting harder and harder to find. This car will only increase in value as time goes on. This car is at the point where you could go pure stock/ RS Mod or whatever. It’s an excellent runner and all electrical works. Please take the time to read the information below, for I am trying to provide as much detail of the car as I can. As for it’s actual mileage, I cannot say, the odo was broken when I got it and I had it professionally repaired. It shows 86k on it now. The new engine hardly has any miles and I just had an oil change done in the last few weeks.

In February 2005 I purchased this car with bad motor and trans (spun a main bearing, 1st gear syncro’s were not good in tranny) Was mostly restored by prior owner, all new metal fenders and rockers, car was in great shape inside/out except the motor.

Present condition

95+% Restored
LITTLE to NO RUST rockers are great,windshield is great ! and so are the battery boxes.
86k Showing on odometer (Was not working when I got the car, had it repaired)
Replaced Motor and 901 Trans with one purchased via 3’rd party that was built by Stomski Racing ( http://www.stomskiracing.com/ ) It’s a 2.2 with E cams, S pistons, Webber Carbs, K & N Air Filters and Tensioner Safety Clips. LOTS OF POWER !!!
901 5 Speed Transmission is great, no problems whatsoever, shifts nice and smooth.
Clutch was looked at prior to motor install and is in excellent shape w/lots of media and life left in it.
Added Pioneer CD Stereo System
Added Front trunk Carpeting (Have receipt)
Added Aftermarket Windshield washer pump, uses original tank (Have receipt)
Repaired rear window defogger tabs and made it functional
Changed out old Wiper Blades (Have receipt)
Repaired defective odometer ( Have receipt)
Added Momo Shift ****
Replaced defective flapper boxes, both sides (Have receipt)
Replaced flapper box cable (no reason to, did it because I was doing the boxes)
Replaced all dash lights with new ones to brighten up the dash
Replaced Brake Master Cylinder Cap and seal with new one
Replaced gas cap with new one
Replaced Front Trunk Shocks
Replaced sealed beam headlamps with Halogen Lamps
Replaced all trunk latches (t handles)
Added jack point plugs
Replaced defective CID unit with a Permatune unit
Cap/Rotor/Points have been replaced etc.
Went through all under dash wiring and connections.
Cleaned variable speed fan switch so it works correctly.
Had several sets of keys made.
Porsche Short Shift Kit Installed
Stock Seats decent shape, some pitting on side chrome slight tear on lower spot of driver side sidewall near the back.
All NEW Interior carpets /Headliner etc. (have receipts)
All NEW trim seals, doors/trunks/windows etc were replaced ( have receipts)
14” Fuchs wheels and Fuchs spare in front trunk
Twin 12v Batteries in front
Original Type Exhaust in great shape.
Heat Exchangers are in decent shape, they are not stainless.
Brakes are in great shape
Handles like a dream, steering is tight and you can steer with one finger
Horn grills were replaced they are black
Previous owner removed AC Unit and all parts associated with it.
Previous owner had the whole body redone, new metal fenders etc, new paint and he did all the seals and interior.

Problems/Issues with car that might need to be addressed

Some other little drippies of oil here and there (which is typical so I hear)
Some minor cracks in dash, also typical
Door pockets in fair/poor shape, need some work, door latches etc are all decent. Door pockets are bolted in and the pop out ones are also.
Cold Idle lever not functional, did not ever need it anyways.
Turn Signal reset does not always turn them off, depends on how far you turn the wheel.
Light in front trunk needs to be setup and installed.

overall the car is in great shape, runs like the dickens with the new motor/trans.

What's your thoughts ???

Pics are at http://jj.tauniverse.com/Porsche/

JJ
Old 07-31-2005, 01:29 PM
tintis
3rd Gear

Default '70 911T Value

I have two 70 911T's. One I have owned since 1977. This one needs paint and bodywork. The other one I purchased from a friend of mine that had an almost perfect paint job and good body. This one had a complete '70 E fuel injected motor. My intention was to transfer all the good components from one car to the other. Unfortunately, while driving this beautiful orange Porsche one day, I was rear ended and pushed into another car. Even though the engine was still running at the time, the body was tweaked pretty badly. So started my ordeal with the insurance company. The insurance companies really have you over a barrel. You need the cash to buy a new car so they low ball you. In my case, I didn't need a new car immediately, so I spent 3 months haggling with them, and compiling comps. In my case, I was able to get $8300.00 for the car. I considered that to be a very good price with all the research I had done. I don't expect you to get much more than that. If this were an original 911 E, or 911S, those would be worth a pretty penny, but 911T's were pretty common. Even though you don't see many around, the price really does not climb too much for this model.
I know the older Porsches very well. A person looking for a completely "stock" 70-71 911 will notice your front bumper is from a 72-73 911; also the front intake grilles are from the same year. Original grilles were chrome. The stock air cleaner is good to have instead of the aftermarket units. This is worth mentioning to a potential buyer. I would take a hard look at the paint job, since I see the door lock has been painted over. An option for the T's was the "S" package, which included rocker panels, better brakes, and "S" gauges, and 15" wheels (instead of 14.5). Unfortunate, your P is not equipped with this. I see you have the original front door pockets over your speakers! This is a good thing. Most owners threw them away to expose the speakers. Last time I checked, each pocket was selling for somewhere around $350.00 ea.
So, comparing to what I had and have to what I see, I would say you are looking at somewhere between $4,500 to $5,500. Hope this helps.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:51 PM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

I thought the price it went for on eBay seemed fair; did the sale not go through?

-E
Old 08-13-2005, 11:52 PM
VinnyC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is the car located?
Old 08-13-2005, 11:55 PM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

Wisconsin. A search should turn up the auction on eBay, it was fairly recently - about a week before the original post.

Emanuel
Old 08-15-2005, 12:47 PM
Steve Zitelli
Instructor

Boy your car brings back memories.I had the exact car.It was my first Porsche and I owned it for about 20yrs.It had new paint a high milage engine and decent trans.I got 7k for it about 5yrs ago.Wish I never sold it.Good luck selling it.

Quick Reply: What should my asking price be 1971 T