Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Best 3.2 street exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 10:32 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drilling Mud Stuff - great one Randy! ("Extrude Hone", btw), and yes, EH is usually worth the money.

As for the usual "Do a search on Pelican", if I wanted to spend all my time there, I wouldn't have joined up here.

I also had asked MK about their exhaust, and haven't gotten a reply yet either.

I spent an hour reinstalling my autopower bar, and the Bursch is off again until Wed's dyno, as Tuesday is open exhaust at Lime Rock. I'm expecting my ticket tomorrow as I make the 45 mile Sunday Morning run up to the shop to grab my camera mount.

I appreciate specifying the brands, etc., but from memory Randy, someone recently asked about dyno numbers with the Monty or another one you mentioned & the reply was "feels better". No offense, Butt Dynos mean jack, no matter how expert one is. I have well over 100 pulls on the dyno with different SHO configurations (including my 419 wheel hp cammed & Vortech'd SHO), and I'd never tell someone a mod was good because it felt that way. Show me the numbers, or it's just an opinion is my position.

As for the bang for buck vs risk factor, I have no problem trying something out, providing someone else hasn't BTDT with my configuration before (or if there's a gray area). Had I known the Bursch was a Dynomax muffler, I wouldn't have spent the $200 honestly, I would have put it toward something else.

Thanks again for the specifics, much appreciated.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:53 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Steve wong at 911chips will steer you in the right direction. As far as mufflers - an dyno'd results. Triad got good results - Monty got good results (and we are talking + 10 hp) Dansk was in the plus 8 category. Muffler will get you minimal performance. Premuffler will get you minimal increase. Chip + Muffler + Premuffler will get you something that you can take to the bank (and feel)

As far as aftermarket - if you stay with 3.2 - then SS!, B & B or GHL will get you a little boost. Out of those three, the B & B Headers are really the only ones that are equal length. Both B & B and GHL have issues with their mufflers opening up.

The 1 3/4 ID B & B Headers are only good for a 3.4l and above. But combine with a nice SS Cam and you can really see a difference (on a dyno) and I have seen the difference.

I can't tell you how much stuff I have read on the subject, but this is my cliff note version (and I am putting my money where my mouth is and will be installing a B & B headers with either a proven IA happy crab muffler or try and get Ben (MK) to make a muffler for me and dyno tune it specifically for my car.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:36 AM
Steve W
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 40 Posts
Wink

I will say that although replacing the cat and stock muffler with a premuffler and muffler improves the performance somewhat, the stock heat exchanger type setup still leaves a lot be be desired. Replacement of the entire system with something better makes a marked difference in overall power and throttle response.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:15 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys.

I'm on the road there now. I'm currently running the Weltmeister chip and the Fabspeed premuffler (plans are in place for a Steve Wong chip instead, but I wanted to finish the apples for apples comparison first), and decided to start playing with the "last" component, the muffler. I know there are far more exotic ways to go from what I've seen here, but I'm also trying to keep it real - this is still going to be my street car, and eventual plans are for a 2nd 911 for more agressive mods as more of a track car. What I do here, I want to be able to put back to stock easily - the intent is to keep this one more the "ahhhhhh" feeling car, while figuring out what to do with the future "woohoo" car.
On the other hand, what I may do is go older on the chassis with a 3.2 or larger for the engine for the old-school sound, feel & weight, part ways with the 84 Cab somewhere down the road & look into a 993, maybe a current Boxster S in 4-5 years, etc.

I'll let y'all know what the dyno says about the combos I've got in-hand now, if someone local wants to offer up another muffler for me to try out, they're welcome to meet me at NE Dyno in Worcester MA (www.nedyno.com) on Wed. night at 6, I have an hour on the rollers at my disposal, and doing the 2 setups I have will be about half of that.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:05 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Hey Dan, FWIW I got lots of compliments on the exhaust at Lime Rock today (I only got ~1/2 hour on the track due to the rain; after watching a Z06 slide into the wall coming onto the front straight & mine sliding in the same spot during my run group's pace lap, I called it a day).

An '01 Z06 & an M3 driver were loving the exhaust after we came in to discuss the session.

Wish I had Victoracers on there instead of the MX's though - I think it would have been a lot more fun.

Quick Reply: Best 3.2 street exhaust?