Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Mystery Switch - What's this thing do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 09:15 PM
Ray 911S
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Mystery Switch - What's this thing do?

Despite giving it the "smoke test" and a thorough reading of the owners' manual, I can't figure out what this switch does. It is a small rocker switch, same size and shape as the power sunroof switch, located under the Temperature/Pressure gage just to the right of the sunroof switch. Unlike the sunroof switch that rocks fore and aft, this one rocks left and right. It looks factory installed. Although it doesn't appear to do anything, neither do most of the electrical switches in my car right now - I'll be chasing gremlins through the wires for most of the winter!

Anyone else have this switch?

R.
Old 02-25-2002, 09:21 PM
Jgordon
Racer

It's the switch for the power mirrors. If your setup is like mine, you have two power mirrors and one control lever. that control lever (drivers side door, just under the front quarter window) controls either mirror, depending on the position of the rocker switch.

Hope it helps. I thought it was weird too, but in a car with based on a 1964 design, most modern amenities are tacked on. So be it. Label it something cool, like "Oil slick" or "Ejector Seat."
Old 02-25-2002, 09:35 PM
Buffalo
Advanced

Does sound like the rocker switch for the mirrors. If you get no reponse from the mirror switch no matter which way you position the rocker, chances are the directional switch is bad. Such was the case with mine. A new switch is $13.00-$14.00. Although they don't have as smooth a mirror movement as modern vehicles they work fine now.
Easy replacement with removal of the top of the door panel.
Old 02-26-2002, 06:57 PM
GeorgeMa
Intermediate

Buffalo,
The remote switch on the mirrors did not work when I purchased my SC and the P-mechanic told me not to fix it, as it would be quite involved. When you said that the rocker switch is $14, is that the switch under the dash, or the toggle control on the door?
Thanks,
GeorgeMa
83 911SC Targa
non-functioning outside mirrors.
Old 03-01-2002, 11:30 AM
Chris Blum
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

I was wondering why my living room lights kept turning on and off. Please leave the switch on between 7pm and 10pm CST.

Thanks, Chris
Old 03-01-2002, 10:15 PM
Ray 911S
Cruisin'

Thumbs up

That was it. And happily both electric mirrors work! Slightly embarrassed at such an easy question , but so much that I won't ask another.

What is the bi-metal switch (thermostat?) mounted to the rear of the engine compartment under the deck lid latch for? Mine rattles, and from the condition, it can't possibly work. What's it supposed to do - and should I repair it?

Gremlin chasing -

Ray
Old 03-10-2002, 08:30 AM
bds1
Advanced

There also is a switch in that area that put the wipers in pulse mode (intermitent)

Quick Reply: Mystery Switch - What's this thing do?