Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

TURBO RING & PINION IN 915 BOX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 09:31 AM
Flat Top
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TURBO RING & PINION IN 915 BOX?

I am currently running a 8:31 final drive ratio in my 73 RSR Replica. More details on this track car could be found here - http://www.almost.co.za/ .

Gear ratios are too long for track use. I have found that the 8:41 Ring and Pinion ratio from the Turbo gearbox would work perfectly. I have looked at the 7:31 but it does not suit me so I am looking for alternatives in place of changing gear sets.

My question is: Can the 8:41 Turbo Ring &Pinion be fitted to a 915 box?
Old 05-26-2005, 12:03 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,131 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Flat top - Unfortunately, the only way to really do things right in this area is to re-gear. Having closer ratios is a huge benefit for an RSR-type motor (assuming that you don't have a 3.6 transplant or something). Changing the R&P won't help with the rev drops on upshift which is what really makes best advantage of the peaky and high-revving 73 motors...
Old 05-26-2005, 01:03 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat Top
My question is: Can the 8:41 Turbo Ring &Pinion be fitted to a 915 box?
Nossir, the Turbo pinion gear is part of the countershaft and is too big to fit in any 915.

As Grant so wisely said; regear what you currently have as there are a LOT of choices. The real objective in this to reduce the RPM drop at each gearchange and thats the correct & most effective way to improve your car's performance.

Last edited by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems; 05-27-2005 at 03:42 AM.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:23 AM
Flat Top
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Guys.

An half an hour after I posted this thread I spoke my 'Engine' man who, generally, has quite a serious disposition. When I asked if it were possible he burst out laughing as if it were the best joke ever. "No, he said. It is completely different gearbox".

I shall be following your wise advise and re-gear. What is so enjoyable about our car is that with every change we make we have reaped huge rewards in lap time reduction.

Quick Reply: TURBO RING & PINION IN 915 BOX?