A/C Repair Shop Around Charlotte, NC

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Joe Rose
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C Repair Shop Around Charlotte, NC

It was a bit humid here in Charlotte with some rain yesterday. Nonetheless, I had to drive the '89 911 Targa for some errands, so I put on the top and away I went. With the temperature and the humidity levels in the cabin quickly becoming a bit uncomfortable, I reached for the A/C controls--only to find there was no cooling to be had. The fans came on, the compressor clutch engaged, everything seemed to work except for the cooling. When I got home I dug out my old A/C manifold and gauges and did a pressure check. With the ambient temperature at about 80 degrees and the engine running at 2000 rpm, my low side pressure was negative--a vacuum. The high side was only 50 psi! No wonder I was not getting any cooling! OK, what to do?? I no longer have any R12 and obviously cannot buy any, so I cannot attempt to just "top up" the system. Understand, though, this is a car I purchased only last November, so I don't know if the previous owner--who didn't drive the car much at all--ever even turned on the A/C. I guess I'd like to get the thing to a reputable A/C shop that knows older Porsches like mine for an evaluation. Perhaps I should get new barrier hoses before topping off--perhaps I should have an R134 conversion. (I've read the "pros" and the "cons" of doing the latter on this website.) In any case I'm looking for advice on where to take the car in this area. Any owners of older 911s in the Charlotte, NC area, please help. Any suggestions based on your own experience would also be most welcome. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:30 PM
keith
Drifting

Joe - you may want to check out our website...

(click below)
Old 05-24-2005, 11:41 PM
Joe Rose
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Keith. I'll give them a call and see if they do that kind of work. Thanks again..I was starting to think no one from the Charlotte area was a Rennlist user.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:37 AM
Capt. Carrera
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always had good dealings with Eurowerks. Go see them.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:18 AM
Joe Rose
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you, Capt. Carrera--I plan to do so in the next few days--early next week at latest. I appreciate the input.

Quick Reply: A/C Repair Shop Around Charlotte, NC