Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How do I get my nose mask (bra) to fit??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 01:11 AM
Julia
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy How do I get my nose mask (bra) to fit??

I just bought a Colgan mask for my 911SC and I have having trouble getting the hood to close. I'm afraid to push too hard. Any body else have this problem and what did you do?

Thanks, Julia
Old 05-20-2005, 01:18 AM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am having the same problem!

What helps is to adjust the locking mechanism for the hood. You loosen the allen bolts that hold the lock in place (the part in the trunk area), slide the lock upwards, and then tighten it back down. This allows more room for the bra to fit. If you get the bra nice and toasty in the sun, it stretches better and becomes easier to work with. In a pinch, you can also put it in the clothes dryer for a minute or so to warm it.

Even with all this, the trunk lid is tought to close, though. I just push down carefully with my palm directly over the badge, repeating until I hear it catch.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:08 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Julia,

This is a problem with the Cogan. The solution is to loosen the allen bolts and slide up the mechanism - I find this has to be all the way. Remember when the bra is removed to re-set the lock or the trunk cover will be much looser than it should be. The other adjustment you can make is by using the two rubber stops either side at the front of the trunk - they have a course thread and can be adjusted downwards just by grabbing hold and turning - they are there to balance the trunk lid and ensure an even gap at the corners.

Have to say that although I still have the Colgan I never use it these days - I found that with extended use (not in the rain!) it did start to to show a scuff mark across the trunk lid. Not a permanent mark but enough to worry me.

PJC
Old 05-20-2005, 11:00 AM
Julia
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I will try that. I understand what you are saying about long term wear. I plan on only usining it for long distance trips to prevent rock chips. We are leaving this morning for a PCA club tour and I just had my valance re-done!
Old 05-20-2005, 11:22 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In my car, I only had to adjust the latch receiver up about 1/2", not the whole way. Whatever you do, don't force the thing closed with the stock latch adjustment or you'll have a dickens of a time getting it open. You'll have to pull so hard you may snap the cable in the attempt.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:33 PM
cmoss

I went through this with my sc years ago. I never could get enough clearence in the latch to make it close. I finally returned it.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:18 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A word of caution...my '84 Turbo Look had slightly upturned front corners on the hood because one of the POs used a bra that wouldn't allow the hood to close properly. It's one of those really subtle things that can't be "bent back", it can only be fixed by replacing the hood!

So...I guess my point is....just don't do the bra thing. I realize you want to protect your paint, but they tend to do more damage than good.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:49 PM
cmoss

check out the "clear bra" stuff I think it's made by 3m or some one. Do a search

Quick Reply: How do I get my nose mask (bra) to fit??