Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Sudden brake fading at VIR

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 08:40 PM
afinepoint
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Gary,

And let me know if you ever want to part with your trailer. Ebay scares me.

When your DE car is also your mode of transport to and from the event worry and restraint become even larger parts of the equation.

Reg
Old 05-17-2006, 09:28 PM
hmd
Racer

I agree that you can do quite a bit to improve the stock setup. But it would only go so far...
If you are not restricted in racing classification, I would recommend to get a setup from Steve @ RennSport and a set of 17" to match. It would cost a bit upfront but in the long run it will paid off. I stuffed around fitting 993 calipers and getting a set of 951 16" fuchs but eventually I went with 17" mainly because the tire choice is greatly expanded with 17".

If I had to do it again, I would just get a bolt-on kit from Steve and be done with it, would definitely save times, and hassles for just a bit more $$$ .....
Old 05-17-2006, 10:05 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Well, i'm from the "if you add power, add braking" school of thought and since we are talking about a stock Carerra I wouldn't go dumping a ton of money on brake modifications, I would make sure the stock system (MC, calipers, discs, lines, etc) is at 100%, brake fluid is fresh and ATE Blue or similar with higher boiling point, brake pads are Pagid, Performance Friction or similar. Add cooling ducts if possible, always a good idea.

I'll bet the car works great..
Old 05-18-2006, 04:27 PM
afinepoint
Racer

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I'll bet the car works great..

We'll see tomorrow.

Reg
Old 05-21-2006, 07:34 PM
afinepoint
Racer

The Performance Friction 97 pads and new Zimmerman rotors did well at VIR. Repeated solid stops. No noticable fade. Plenty of dust and some noise which is to be expected. I bled brakes Thursday and that was it.

The turbo tie rods did well too. Steering was crisp with minimal drift.

I'm happy.

Now to raise HP just a bit. I didn't stand a chance on the straight-aways.

Reg
Old 05-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Glad to hear you are running with brakes. As far as HP, I would concentrate on learning to drive smoothly and attacking the corners with more speed/exiting faster. You will be so far ahead of the HP cars that they won't catch you on the straights. Two things I was taught early on:

1. Brakes just slow you down
2. Anyone can drive fast in a straight line

Be sure to keep that PF brake dust cleaned up, it really turns into tough stuff after awile, especially if it gets wet..
Old 05-22-2006, 10:35 AM
afinepoint
Racer

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Glad to hear you are running with brakes. As far as HP, I would concentrate on learning to drive smoothly and attacking the corners with more speed/exiting faster. True. I keep hearing that and am working on it.

Be sure to keep that PF brake dust cleaned up, it really turns into tough stuff after awile, especially if it gets wet.. I'm thinking of putting the old pads back on.
Reg

Quick Reply: Sudden brake fading at VIR