Fuel Pump Problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 03:59 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy Fuel Pump Problem ?

I have an 87 Carrera.

When my car returned from the shop, the fuel pump now runs when the key is turned to the on position, but the car is not running.

I felt the pump and it is vibrating. It also makes a buzzing sound like the buzzing sound you get when the seat belts are not fastened.

There was work done on the rear suspension and there was a valve adjustment.

Is it a bad fuel pump or is it something else?

Thanks

John
Old 05-06-2005, 04:12 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

the pump will always run with the key in the "ON" position, and in the crank or 50 position. If its vibrating, it could be going bad, or the $1 rubber mount has broken and its resting on the metal pan underneath it. you should be able to hear it, but it shouldn't sound like a damn tank driving down the street. The pump isn't cheap, but is easy to replace in your driveway as long as you clamp off the feed line from the tank so you dont take a chevron bath, evenb the connectors are two different sizes so you cant mix them up. Replace the relay while you are in there too.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:40 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I am not sure what you are referring to when you say the "$1 rubber mount." In any event, even if I free the fuel pump from its mounting hardware, it still makes the same noise. Does that mean it could not be the $1 rubber mount (whatever that is)?
Old 05-06-2005, 05:03 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

the pump has the hose clamp holding it on to is bracket, holding the bracket to the subframe is a little rubber mount about 3/8 of an inch round, 1/2 inch tall.

If it rattles that bad and is horridly noisy disconnected, I would just replace it. you can pull the fuel filter, dump it out backwards, and look for a lot of metal shavings and that is a sign that it is worn.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:50 PM
stovika
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, I just found this fuel pump discussion. My 911 2,7-1977 has got a leaking fuel house just behind the pump. Seems like this house can not be seperated from the one going into the tunnel. In that case, how complicated is it to change the fuelline ? Is the line in the tunnel made of plastic or metal ?
Old 05-13-2005, 02:35 PM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the fuel line is attached to the pump discharge fitting using 3 O-rings. Is that where it's leaking ?

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Problem ?