New headliner is in...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 02:03 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New headliner is in...

Here (Round 3) are pics of the new headliner that I finally put in today.
There is also a closeup of some clear coat damage that occurred.

I replaced the sunroof seal as well, and to protect the surrounding paint from the adhesive, I carefully masked of a strip of 2" Blue 3M tape along the sunroof opening.
I then cleaned the crud off the area that was to receive the new seal, applied a bead of adhesive and attached the new seal. Seemed like a really simple part of this whole project....
When I removed the blue tape, not even 15 minutes after putting it on the car, I was blown away to see this happening to my paint.

What on earth can I do now?!?!?!?!?!?
+++
Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2005, 12:32 PM
kcirderf
Rennlist Member

Gosh Dan,

I hope that is just adhesive residue. I would have a hard time believing the clear coat could come off like that. I hope your OK. Headliner looks very cool though.

Fred S

Best of luck, Fred
Old 04-24-2005, 12:40 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

It is DEFINITELY clear coat that has peeled away from the color. I was pretty ticked off, but there is little that I can do about it now. I just need some advice on repairing it.
+++
Old 04-24-2005, 01:59 PM
TAREK
Three Wheelin'

Sorry to see the damage. Wish I could offer advice. May be a body shop can paint the roof area at a reasonable price?

On another related subject, I hope you don't mind me asking how extensive it is to replace the headliner. No sunroof on mine, and since I plan to spruce up the interior, I'm thinking that aged dirty ivory headliner reminds me too much of an old vw bug. [not that there is anything wrong with that]. I have fair to good skills and courage at doing things the first time, but I never saw a headliner being done and it looks intimidating to do for some reason.

TIA
Tarek

Quick Reply: New headliner is in...