Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need opinion on this car

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 03:04 PM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need opinion on this car

This is mostly a repost of my earilier post with a different heading. Not too many looks with the "Jacksonville" subject line

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...9/79054339.htm

This is the email(s) I received:

This 911 came in beginning of last summer with bad engine oil leaks and broken head studs and was missing on a few cylinders. The customer authorized roughly $9500 worth of work to the car. I pulled the engine, disassembled down to the cyls. Installed updated 993 head studs, new rings, fresh valve job with guides, solid oil return tubes, updated head nuts/washers (yellow passivated type), powdercoated all sheet metal matte black, powdercoated fan and housing silver. Many new hoses, case breather gasket, oil cooler seals, oil therm. o-ring, flywheel new, new Sachs oe clutch assy w/ sport disc, rb guide, new throttle link /springs, new clutch release arm, new plug wires, cap rotor, all new bosch injectors ($600 worth), 2 new speed and reference sensors, temp sensor two, intake insulators, cam chain tensioner oil lines, flushed the fuel tank, new fuel line, transmission service with mobil 1 syth gear lube, new cv boots, new interstate battery, all new yellow chromate hardware. The engine is in great shape, has been cleaned up and there are currently NO signs of any case leaks (did NOT split the case and do bearings).
Basically it has a new top end with rings and all the updates. The chasis and bottom end have around 138,000 miles. The body is in pretty good shape, some dings and scratches which have been touched up. Has euro front light assy's, euro rear tail lights, fuchs 6 and 7x16 inch wheels. Has whale tail and front spoiler which all optional. interior is nice (no cracks in the dash, seats are ok though dry and drivers side bolster has some cracking, carpet is decent. There is a tear in the headliner. Sunroof opens though sounds a bit rough.) Will need stereo, new tires, ac work. (i may at least convert the system to 134A and see if it will cool).
It DOES look good (the picture was a crappy one in the trader- i can send you better ones) and is mechanically sound. Susspension is a little weak as it is an older car but certainly good enough for the time being. The reason i am selling it is that the customer in August last when the car was done wouldn't return my calls/pick up the car and pay his bill that he authorized. Sent letters, called more times than i can count and FINALLY, 8 months later i had to get a lien on the car. So it has a clean title and i am selling it as i already own an 86 911, 2 944's a 944 turbo and a sport motorcycle. No rust as far as i can tell and no serious body damage. Prepurchase is no prob although if you want to view the car on the lift and have me do a compression test in front of you, no problem there either.

Also 650 for the tires.

If this works out, I will fly down and drive up to MIchigan.
What do you guys think???
Mike
Old 04-22-2005, 06:56 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would scare me. Mechanic repos the car & throws it together to sell to get his cash out (and make some $s for his efforts).

I would have someone look at it before I spent $s on an INDEPENDENT PPI. Sorry for shouting, but no way would I trust him to be honest. He might be, but . . .

I think these is a Pelican member or two in Jacksonville, why don't you ask there if someone can look at it?

Ian
Old 04-22-2005, 07:06 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is he asking $9500 for it? I'd spend $15k right up front for a nice. lower miles '86 right off the bat and have a clean, no stories car that could be resold easily. There are enough 1986 911's built to be a bit more picky and plenty of 3.2's to choose from if you have patience.

If you just want a driver for cheap, then maybe this thing is worth buying, but not without a full PPI from someone that is knowledgeable and does not have any affiliation with the seller. If you want something that is very presentable, there is too much to do with the interior and all the other things that come with an abused car to bother with this one.

Just my $.02.

Jay
Old 04-22-2005, 09:31 PM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He is asking 13000. It seemed really good, but my recent experiences have made me very careful. I am going to pass on this one and just take my time. I think I have been in a bit of rush to get a porsche. As suggested by members of this forum, I am going to step back and just see what happens. If one does not turn up this summer, there is always next year.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:40 AM
Johnny_B
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michael,

I know this car - Seth is my mechanic and I will vouch for him. PM me and I will give you more info...

Quick Reply: Need opinion on this car