Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Any Better Deals on a 930s Steering Wheel ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 04:48 PM
redidrum
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any Better Deals on a 930s Steering Wheel ???

Does anyone out there know of a better place to buy a 930S Steering wheel without paying over $365 ??? Just can't get myself to pay that much for a steering wheel. Must be made of titanium and gold for that price. Outrageous price in my book. Others look cheap and mine stinks.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 04-21-2005, 05:07 PM
MIK911
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

AJ USA in San Diego frequently has them on sale for PCA members (they never asked me to prove my membership). Bought one last summer for $240., but yes, the price has gone up tremendously over the past 1-2 yrs. (dunno why).

mike
Old 04-21-2005, 05:56 PM
redidrum
Pro

Mik,

Thanks for the tip. I have a friend in San Diego. I used to live by the Kettle in Manhattan Beach.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 04-21-2005, 09:34 PM
webini
Advanced

Originally Posted by MIK911
AJ USA in San Diego frequently has them on sale for PCA members (they never asked me to prove my membership). Bought one last summer for $240., but yes, the price has gone up tremendously over the past 1-2 yrs. (dunno why).

mike
Exchange rate to USD has caused the price increase.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:16 PM
M491
Racer

Keep in mind there are 2 versions that are commonly sold.

One is an OE version that uses 1 piece of leather to cover the rim. You can tell that one by the seam that runs right up the center of the bottom spoke.

The aftermarket one is made out of 4 separate pieces covering the rim. Cheaper construction that way. All those seams are ugly, IMO.

I've seen both wheels. I like the 1 piece leather versions. I don't like the 4 piece ones at all - they seem and feel cheap to me.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:06 AM
redidrum
Pro

Thanks guys. I called AJ and they wouldn't give me the deal Mik got. They did give me free shipping. Got the Center badge and spacer with free shipping for $405.00. Steep, but, it is the one piece construction and they emboss the emblem on the center somehow. Bit the bullet! Very nice guy there named Justin.

Ron
Old 04-22-2005, 01:03 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought the AJ wheels were the uglier cousin with the seams - the one I bought from them was - the real thing is here :http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
Old 04-22-2005, 01:19 PM
redidrum
Pro

I'll find out in a few days. Looks the same to me in picture http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/pb/view...321fad26ca6a7e

If it is not as described, I'll send it back. Did not know there was a difference.

What am I missing ? Looks like one seam here too... http://www.gagme.com/greg/911/hacks/930swheel.php
Old 04-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Redidrum, the wheel in the pic you show from the AJUSA site is different from the one creaturecat posted. Notice the seam on the bottom spoke. You can clearly see it goes all the way up to the center hub in the creaturecat pic. It's covered up halfway in the pics you posted. I wouldn't worry. Nobody's gonna notice the difference, nor is anyone going to point it out to you and say, "You know you bought a crappy steering wheel." You'll forget about it 5 minutes after you install the wheel and realize how much a cosmetic improvement it is to your interior (unless you're a stock-look diehard, of course).

Brett
Old 04-22-2005, 02:30 PM
redidrum
Pro

I thought that it was the OEM wheel. Looks good to me. At least it doesn't have the 4 seperate seams I've heard about. I'll check out the quality before installing it. I just called them and they say that the same maufacturer that makes them for Porsche, makes them for AJ USA. We'll see in a few days. Thanks, Ron
Attached Images  

Last edited by redidrum; 04-22-2005 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:51 PM
nullH20
Advanced

The AJUSA wheel does have the 4 seams. They are glued not stitched. You can see them in the AJUSA link posted.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:36 PM
redidrum
Pro

Okay, now I see it. I feel like I got the wrong wheel now. May send it back. They are a rennlist sponsor. Can't understand why they would not have the one piece which is what I want.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:20 PM
SDGuy
Instructor

I live in San Diego and went over to AJUSA last week to look at the wheel as a possible replacement for my 944 stock wheel. The seams didn't bother me and the wheel feels great. I believe the wheels are made by Formel in Germany which makes an Indianapolis branded wheel as well - see
http://www.raid-rdi.com/english/inde...e=LenkradAtiwe
Very rich looking. Only problem was that the sample they had on display had big wrinkles in the horn leather as if it were drying out. This worried me about long term quality. The advantage of the AJ part is that you can glue on a crest since the leather is flat. The original factory part has an embossed crest and I'm not sure if the cloisonne crest will look as good when it is glued over it. I decided to gather some more info before purchasing. I'd like to see the factory part that the fellow on ebay is advertising. Anyone have one?
Old 04-23-2005, 02:34 PM
TAREK
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SDGuy
I believe the wheels are made by Formel in Germany which makes an Indianapolis branded wheel as well - see
http://www.raid-rdi.com/english/inde...e=LenkradAtiwe
Very rich looking.
Don't mean to discredit you, but thought I'd point out that the wheel in the link looks nothing like the 930 S OE wheel. If you own the original one (which I do), it gets easier to spot the original ones from aftermarket.

Just my opinion

Tarek
Old 04-23-2005, 02:42 PM
SDGuy
Instructor

No discredit taken . I probably wasn't clear that I fully understood that the AJUSA (and probably Pelican parts wheel) is a clone wheel and perhaps from Formel of Germany. As I mentioned, the factory part has an embossed crest and I can't say who manufactured this for Porsche. I believe it is also known as a 968 club sport wheel. The very original 930S wheel with the cloissone crest that I saw at the Porsche museum in Stuttgart may no longer be available from the factory- but I'd welcome a part number!

Tarek, may I ask you to post a picture of your wheel and provide the part number? Did yours come with a cloissone crest? did you add one? Thanks for any help.

Quick Reply: Any Better Deals on a 930s Steering Wheel ???