Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Carrera seat adj problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005 | 11:45 AM
Gost
Instructor

Default Carrera seat adj problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was trying to find out what my problem is with my drivers power seat as to why the rear up/down movement ceased to function a few weeks ago.The front elevation adjustment works fine. I took the 4 way power heated sport seat out and of the 85 Carrera and removed the servo operating the rear adjustment. I manually spun the cables that lead to the elevator units that actually adjust the seat and they worked fine. They were on their lowest setting by the way when the functioning stopped. One side was a bit tougher to get spinning than the other but both did smoothly after I got them off their lowest travel point. Next I switched the leads on the servo that worked to the one that controlled the rear problem area and it worked fine spinning away happily. So servo, cables and corner rear elevators all seem to be OK. I then measured the voltage at each set of connections. The servo that was fine registered about 2.4 volts and the other servo was getting 2.2 volts so the switch associated with the problem system does send juice to the servo, I just don't know why the difference in the voltage even though slight. Can this voltage difference cause the servo to not work and can the switch be the culprit causing the voltage drop? I then used a low voltage test light and observed that the working servo lit up the tester brightly both in up and down switch positions and the problem servo and switch lit up brightly in the down position but was noticibly dimmer when in the up position. Again the seat is partially powered and has 2- two way seat adj. switches. I put it all back together figuring the servo and cables/elevators are not the problem and left the rear seat adjustment a bunch of turns on each in a higher position. I connect all the wiring and test the switch. Nothing in the rear again. Then I put my ear to servo and I could hear a very faint sound like an elec motor thats locked up and straining ( but the motor works fine when the connections were swapped before) when I depress the switch in either direction. I keep doing this then all of a sudden when the switch was in the down position the seat began to work and adjust downward until it bottomed. Then nothing again in either position with the faint sound still occuring. I tried this over and over for a few minutes but nothing else happened. I removed the relay, bentley calls it the drivers seat delaying relay and the same thing. Front works rear does not. So I'm sure the relay is just for the heating portion which does not work either by the way. I could hear the relay clicking when I depress the seat heat switch on and off but it has not worked in 2 seasons.It worked intermittently before it totally quit. What's up with this, anyone? Next I took the trim off the switches. How are the switches removed from the seat? Took a quick look and there seemed to be a trick to it so I'm asking. Sorry about the winded description but I figure the more you know the better the response...yes?
I'm guessing the heat part is that relay which is faulty or could that be the heat switch on the seat as well? Could the seat Adjustment switch be causing my seat adjustment problem? Want to figure it out so I can try to pick up the parts in Hershey this Sat.
Once again thanks for any help.
Old 04-21-2005 | 05:34 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

It's probably the switch. They are a bitch to remove. You actually need to take them apart while they are attached and then they are even more of a bitch to fix and exponentially more difficult to put back together due to a couple of little ball bearings that fall out when you open it up. In fact, the whole damned thing falls to pieces when taken apart. Been there, done that, no fun. Good luck
Old 04-21-2005 | 08:45 PM
Gost
Instructor

Thanks CN. I'm pretty capable but when I saw that switch I knew it wouldn't be a standard thing. I wonder how the switch drops the voltage. It died just as I was adjusting the seat and it reached it's lowest point and then NADA!! Has to be the switch. I'll prepare myself for the little *****.

Quick Reply: Carrera seat adj problem