Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

86 targa purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 10:48 PM
42empress
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 targa purchase

I am purchasing an 86 targa from the estate of a former porsche club member and supposed fanatic. A very good family friend was very close to the gentleman who passed away. He was the original owner and from what i have heard, the car is in excellent condition. My questions are, other than oil, brake bleeding and tire/brake inspection, battery is there anything else that needs to be addressed if the car has been sitting for a while. The car did receive a complete servicing approximately 1000 miles ago, but that was last year. Additionally, is the oil change an easy DIY, and is synthetic reccomended. I have a 996, but not familiar with the classic air cooled cars.

Thanks for any input
Old 04-20-2005, 08:27 AM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I suggest you read Pete Zimmermann's sticky post about buying a used 911. Get a PPI; a good mechanic will tell you what needs to be addressed on this car.

Do a search on oil. There are numerous multi-page debates on dino vs. synthetic oil in air cooled 911's...we don't need to start another.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:41 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An oil change is very easy DIY as is most of the 'regular' service. You just need a monster bucket & lots of paper towels to clean up the oil you will spill the first time.

As above, search on oil change & you will get a lot of info. Dino vs synthetic is a discussion with no end. As one wiser than me said, use the oil that has been used previously in the car & you can't go wrong. For me, that is dino.

Other things to check - soft brake lines & main fan belt. Longer term - rear suspension bushings are probably deformed & check the rear sway bar mounts for cracks.

Ian
Old 04-20-2005, 10:29 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Get a PPI, regardless if you have already bought it or not. IT will tell you what needs to be done to the car and the approx. cost to have each thing done. Where are you in CT? There is an EXCELLENT shop near me staffed by experts in the air-cooled series (not that he doesn't know water-cooled).
Old 04-20-2005, 09:53 PM
42empress
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help. A PPI regardless seems to be a good idea. I am in Glastonbury. I have taken my car to musante motor sports in south windsor and will probably bring this one to them.

Quick Reply: 86 targa purchase