Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

starter installation - grease??

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 07:25 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts
Default starter installation - grease??

I installed one of the light wt. high torque starters on the 1986 engine in my 1973T. It whined frequently and finally broke. I didn't use any grease when I installed the starter onto the flywheel gear. On removal it definitely looked like the starter was hanging up (not disengaging from the flywheel gear). I have it rebuilt and ready to install. I think the rebuilder might have changed the gear on the starter.

I am wondering if I should use any grease on the gear to help it engage/disengage with the flywheel gear? I don't want to get grease on the clutch tho!

If so, what kind of grease should I use and how much? I'm a little gun shy about having the starter fail since I spent a huge amount of money to get this engine and modify/rebuild it...
Old 04-19-2005, 08:30 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

randy: I've never seen an instruction regarding greasing the starter drive gear, so no, don't! BUT, be really sure that the teeth on your ring gear are in good condition. If you haven't already, lie under the car with a flashlight and inspect them while an assistant turns the engine by hand. Check every tooth, hopefully it'll be OK.
Pete
Old 04-20-2005, 03:37 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Thx. They looked good when the engine was out.

Any other ideas?
Old 04-20-2005, 03:51 PM
emac
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Randy
As long as the starter teeth and the flywheel teeth line up and there is NO drag you will have no
problems. If there is you will need to shim the starter. Do not put any grease on the flywheel or the
starter gear. Be advised the gear on the starter is softer than your flywheel, it will ruin before you
damage the flywheel. As stated by Peter, if they mesh without binding you will be OK.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:56 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

How do I check to ensure there is no binding?

Do I put the starter in w/o bolts and move it in and out?

I don't understand the shim remark. That would move the starter axially out away from having full engagement across the tooth but not affect the "mesh clearance"... ??
Old 04-20-2005, 04:09 PM
emac
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You only shim one side of the starter if needed, in most cases you do not need to do anything
other then install the starter. The gear and flywheel would not mesh properly and that is the reason
you shim. If you installed the starter and everything lined up I would say you are good to go.
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: starter installation - grease??