Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

front swaybar droplink - preload

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 02:55 PM
jaydubya
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front swaybar droplink - preload

I have Charlie Bars on my 82 911SC. I am softening up the front bar position for some street driving. It was set so that the front edge of the link was 1" from the end of the bar that it slides on. I am backing it out to 3/4".

Car is up on 4 jackstands, wheels are off, front supported on tbar mount plates.

Here is how I am adjusting the preload on the droplinks - apply floor jack gently to one of the front transverse control arms, just inside of mount point for strut. Raise jack until car just lifts of left-front jack stand. Adjust droplink length to remove tension (by shortening it in this case).

Problem is I run out of adjustment before the tension is gone. It's pretty close though. I'm wondering if the procedure I'm using is putting too much of the car weight on the corner that is being adjusted. Or maybe I just need a shorter droplink for this softer setting...

Have tried adjusting the swaybar droplinks with all four tires on the ground but can't get around the wheels to reach the adjustment nuts. Car is too low to crawl underneath.

I would love to hear how you do this adjustment. I'm sure there must be an easier way.

Found some good stuff by doing a search but no specifics on this problem.

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 04-18-2005, 10:06 PM
red911 Targa
Advanced

Jeff, have you tried to lower the car off the jack stands, onto some wooden blocks so you can load the appropiate weight (not using the floor jack) and can still get under the car. Then you can measure and adjust whatever preload you desire.

I made some a few years ago with a power saw and wooden dowels.

First I made the bottom board from a 2 x 8 approximately 24 inches long, and cut a 45 degress cut across the board, then used a shorter board 16 inches long with another 45 degree cut across the board and finally a 2.4 at the end and top of both boards. The 2 x 4 was the stop and the 45 degree cuts allow the car to be driven carefully up on both the 2 x 8's to the stop.

I used wooden dowels to hold the three boards together because I did not want anything to move or sharp edges to catch.

If you use these at each end the small elevation should not affect the car's front to rear weight, and you should be able to crawl underneath with the proper weight for your preload set.

Good luck, Tom
Old 04-18-2005, 10:17 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Jeff:

Call me,.......
Old 04-18-2005, 10:25 PM
jaydubya
Racer

tom - thanks very much for your reply. earlier I picked up a set of Rhino ramps and lowered the car onto them. this gave sufficient clearance for the adjustments.

Just to follow up on the method I described, it will not work. If you jack only one side on the front you are not accounting for the fact that the swaybar is connected to both front corners (duh). If you had two floor jacks...

Cheers,

Jeff

Quick Reply: front swaybar droplink - preload