Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

First time 911 purchase - need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 06:51 PM
speed_jake
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time 911 purchase - need help

I just checked out and test drove a 74 911 S. The engine has a total of ~150K mi on it, rebuilt 30K mi ago. 5 speed tranny never rebuilt. Paint, lines, interior in good to great shape. Very little oil drippage, driveway showed no stains either. Targa top, still in good shape. Noticed a few things, 1) when at speeds >10 mph,the brakes were fine. Below 10 mph, the brakes sunk to the floor, had to be pumped to work. Is that normal? I don't know much about older braking systems.

Also, at 60-70 mph, there was vibration in steering wheel - would this be wheel balance or something more complicated? - the tires show uneven wear as well.

They're asking $7K, which I think is a decent price, but the brake thing and higher speed vibration have me a bit concerned. I expect to have to put money into it, but I don't want to have to do major work right off the bat before I get to enjoy the ride.

Any help is really appreciated. js
Old 04-16-2005, 07:37 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

That sounds like it could be an expensive car. It's definitely not normal (or safe) to have the brake pedal be at all inconsistent. I'd expect you're in for at least a new master cylinder and caliper rebuilds, but the disturbing thing is if the seller tried to tell you that there wasn't a problem. I'd have a hard time trusting the guy if he's willing to lie about such a serious safety issue.

Does the seller have the build sheet on the motor work? This is vital for a magnesium case engine. Guys on this board can go over it with you and determine if it was done correctly or if you're going to be doing it again soon (at a cost of 8K or so).

The vibration could be wheel balance or it could be shocks. If it's the original shocks, you'll have to budget some money for new ones.

It is absolutely essential that you get a pre-purchase inspection on the car from an independent Porsche shop before you even settle on a price, much less decide to buy the car. 1974-1977 911's need this more than any other era of 911.

7K is not a great price for that car, if you're looking at brake, suspension and tranny work in the next few years. Be careful. You could easily end up 17K or so into the car, with just a few 'surprises,' and it will still only be worth 8-9K.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:32 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Excelletn advice as always Jack. I would like to add that a vibration at 60-70 could also be associated with aftermarket wheel locks. This happened to me with my 74. Of course, unevenly worn tires are a completley different animal, and may be the only visual indication of a serious suspension/steering issue. These types of unknown issues will add as much as 50% to the purchase price within the first year or so of owning the car.
Don't get me wrong, once they are corrected a 911 is an awsome car, regardless of year, but if left to deteriorate or simply neglected by an 'unproud' owner, they will require tons of work and/or $$ to get back into proper condition. (As MANY of us can attest!)

Good Luck with your search/purchase.
My final words of advice are:
If you can't afford to do a PPI, then don't buy a 911.
+++
Old 04-16-2005, 08:38 PM
speed_jake
2nd Gear

Thanks guys - I'll keep looking around!
Old 04-16-2005, 09:55 PM
Gost
Instructor

Listen to them. The vibe is negative. Don't want to hear that I'm sure. Must get the paperwork on all repairs and rebuilds and if not run like the wind. If you get them go to a Porsche guru shop to get it checked out, mandatory. You will be surprised with what they come up with. I had mine checked out and bought my 911 from my uncle who was the original owner and not all that car savvy! The car needed a new clutch ( it was the original at 103K), front wheel bearings, oil pressure switch, main seal, vacuum line (that cost$175 alone), clutch fork and more. Cost....$2000. My uncle said the car was fine or so he thought. So be careful is what we're trying to say. A Porsche is a thrill that comes with a price and if you listen and learn from the guy's who have been around the block like Jack and Don, you will fare well. Dan by the way, thanks for all your sound advice these past few weeks. You've been on the money.
Good luck and ask lot's of questions.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:24 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Regards, Gost. I am clearly not eh twisest or most knowledagale Porsche guy, but I will always call it the way I see it. (or think I see it!)

I may be wrong...but I'm never in doubt!
+++
Old 04-18-2005, 12:10 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

speed: Is this car Gemini Blue with black interior?

Pete
Old 04-19-2005, 05:20 PM
Revvin_911S
Instructor

Deffinatly get an inspection done if you arestill interested. That brake problem is serious and needs immediete attention. The other problems may or may not be expensive to repair, depending on the exact causes. Get documentation on the engine rebuild, the 2.7 engines can be good engines, but only if they have had the proper work done by somebody who knows what they are doing. This car is not a deal, I paid less then that for my '77, and my car was in better shape then this one. Don't get discouraged, keep looking and you will find the right car. Good luck in your search!

Quick Reply: First time 911 purchase - need help