Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What did I break?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 02:19 AM
82Targa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my car in to John Walker today for some unrelated work. I described the issues I was having, and he agreed that it could be the voltage regulator. However, he also said that replacing the regulator itself may not be sufficient. The regulator makes contact with a thin metal disk in the alternator. If this disk is worn through, the whole alternator may need to be replaced. He was going to get in with a multimeter and snoop around.

I know you are taking a different tack at this point, but I just wanted to share an FYI in case your investigation heads in that direction....
Old 04-12-2005, 06:32 AM
Mark Hald
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Dan, I wouldn't jump to the oil pressure switch conclusion based on what you've described. The unique thing about the OP switch is that, when it fails, you see the brake indicator light, simultaneous with the OP idiot light, and the oil pressure gauge reads normal pressure.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:49 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Thanks Mark. Once again, I find myself scratching my head in a stupor.
One of these days I'll get this thing put back together and actually drive it again!
Then maybe the problem will have simply vanished
+++
Old 04-13-2005, 02:23 AM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

it could be TWO problems, the alternator (regulator is inside) AND an oil pressure switch, I dont have my wiring book infront of me at the moment so I cant trace wires.

the switch is easy to do, just take off the air box and meter, its easy to get too after that, no intake to remove or engine to lower. At the same time do the breather hose and replace the thermostat O-ring too, they are right there and are cheap. fun project for a Saturday morning, or afternoon

Just clean the area extremely well around the thermostat BEFORE you remove it with brake clean and compressed air to avoid debris getting inside when you remove it.

The other concern is if the oil pressure light flickers AND you have no pressure on the gauge when its hot, is a sign that the bearings are worn. The oil gets hot and thin, coupled with the larger tolerances between the journal and bearings cause a low pressure condition. Atleast you are using Castrol 20-50.

Quick Reply: What did I break?