911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Getting the *@%^#%$ shift knob off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005 | 02:36 AM
Gost
Instructor

That's a thought I had as well. Just worried about cracking it because the threaded opening leaves a very narrow wall thickness. I should be able to do that but want to exhaust the option to actually thread it on before I do. Check out the pics. I know it's not brand new but it just has this nostalgic look and feel to it.
Old 04-08-2005 | 02:42 AM
Gost
Instructor

Oh by the way the bentley manual I just got said one way to remove the **** is to use a 15mm open end wrench placed under the **** and tapping up from below. It's in section 340 pg 4 manual trans section.
Old 04-08-2005 | 04:17 AM
82Targa
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gost
Oh by the way the bentley manual I just got said one way to remove the **** is to use a 15mm open end wrench placed under the **** and tapping up from below. It's in section 340 pg 4 manual trans section.
Tap it with what? A 12 pound sledge hammer? I had a wrench perfectly fit on the shaft, everything was taped up to protect it and I was pounding on it hard. I tapped, I tickled, I thunked...no dice. The plastic of the **** started to give way with no effect on the crimp ring.

Perhaps the german fellow who put mine on was in the dog house with the wife and was taking out his aggressions at work....
Old 04-08-2005 | 10:37 AM
jaydubya
Racer

Originally Posted by 82Targa
Tap it with what? A 12 pound sledge hammer? I had a wrench perfectly fit on the shaft, everything was taped up to protect it and I was pounding on it hard. I tapped, I tickled, I thunked...no dice. The plastic of the **** started to give way with no effect on the crimp ring.

Perhaps the german fellow who put mine on was in the dog house with the wife and was taking out his aggressions at work....
Don't feel too bad, I couldn't get mine off w/o damaging it. It tried most of the methods listed above. Finally took my aggressions out on it and just beat it to sh&t and bought a Momo ****.

Specifically, with the shift assembly on the bench, turned it over, lined up a punch directly on the surface of the bottom of the **** next to the shaft, and then hammered until it came off/fell apart.

You might have a better chance with the shift assembly out of the car. You could turn it upside down and at least have gravity on your side.
Old 04-08-2005 | 12:43 PM
Gost
Instructor

I know things don't come off the way they're supposed to all the time. I could feel your frustration when you described the ordeal. I'd of done the same if the prescribed method didn't work...and with a vengeance..." allright you son%^$@# think you gonna beat me, take that you piece o%^^%5.." How much time is wasted on what should have been simple things. Enjoy the ****!
Old 04-08-2005 | 03:10 PM
82Targa
Instructor

gost, that shift **** it pretty cool. It does have a nostalgic look to it, and its certainly unique.
Old 04-08-2005 | 03:27 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

It has the shape of an old Momo **** but I've never seen that metal before. It might clean up with judicious sanding or you can leave as is.
Old 04-08-2005 | 10:13 PM
82Targa
Instructor

Gost, did you consider having a local machine shop make you an adapter? It may not be as expensive as you might think, as the piece would be pretty simple.
Old 04-08-2005 | 10:49 PM
Gost
Instructor

I'm pretty handy with metal fab, welding and the like, only thing I don't have is a lathe which would come in handy. I'm going to try fabing something myself and if it's a no go I'll try a shop. You're right can't cost much. I'm still thinking about Dan Cobb's post on drilling it out only instead of set screws maybe I'll get it just right as a press fit. I wonder what the **** came out of. Heavy SOB and the metal is shiny and odd, almost like a pot metal like material. I'll try to ID it and post my findings. Thanks for the compliments Randy and 82.

Quick Reply: Getting the *@%^#%$ shift knob off?