Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ridiculous wheel question (steering wheel)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 12:58 PM
BJJones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ridiculous wheel question (steering wheel)

Ok

I have finaly got a new steering wheel for my 930 (an original sports option buck rodgers type one) but.............................

I canno't remove the original wheel ! the socket I need to use to get on the nut is bigger than the gap at the top of the wheel to gain access by.

The wheel is in two parts, rim and boss but they are joined by bolts with no heads, I canno't imagine that you would have to butcher the wheel to remove it so what gives?

It is this wheel:

Plese help!
Old 04-05-2005, 03:59 PM
emac
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I understand your message, your are trying to remove the above wheel. If so pull the
horn covor off and you will see the nut. Remove the nut and pull the wheel off. If I am wrong
sorry just trying to help.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:50 PM
BJJones
Instructor

I have done that, but the socket will not fit through the aperture in the wheel.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:30 PM
redidrum
Pro

I removed mine just like that one you have on my old Porsche with a deep well thin walled socket, Craftsman, 1 1/16" or a 27mm socket work. As mentioned, grab the the front square piece and pull towards yourself. Disconnect horn wires and stick in your socket. Mr Obvious says, turn left young man! May need to wiggle left and right to remove from the splines. Make sure you don't mess up the turn signal cancel. Some guys wrap electrical tape around the shaft to make the turn signal cancel after turning.

Good Luck,

Ron
Old 04-05-2005, 06:37 PM
BJJones
Instructor

Sorry guys, my socket is a standard thin wall type and it wont go throuh the aperture after the horn pad is removed, no way.

I will turn the socket down a bit in work tomorrow, it just amazes me that somthing so simple could be made so difficult! there is plenty of scope to give more clearance for access to the bolt....................make me wonder.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:41 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Post a picture of your steering wheel with the horn pad off.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:31 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

remember not to bash yourself in the teeth when you pull it off!
Old 04-06-2005, 12:11 AM
cmoss

Originally Posted by BJJones
Sorry guys, my socket is a standard thin wall type and it wont go throuh the aperture after the horn pad is removed, no way.

I will turn the socket down a bit in work tomorrow, it just amazes me that somthing so simple could be made so difficult! there is plenty of scope to give more clearance for access to the bolt....................make me wonder.
jeeze, how much is a friggin' socket at Sears?!?
Old 04-06-2005, 02:26 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

my Snap-on socket fits fine - the Sears stuff is usually thicker b/c they use a lower grade alloy with worse forging. Sometimes the spendy stuff is worth it.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:32 PM
redidrum
Pro

Wear a face mask!
Attached Images  
Old 04-06-2005, 12:33 PM
jet911
Pro

I went to Autozone and bought a cheap 27MM socket (figured I was only going to use it a time or two). It worked fine to remove my steering wheel.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:36 PM
redidrum
Pro

Use it once and return it... That'll show 'em.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:10 PM
BJJones
Instructor

Yeah, funny thing is I removed the wheel from my last car (same wheel) no problem. But I canno't even get my turned down one past the entrance to the body of the steering wheel.

For all the guys still telling me how to get the horn pad off..........................believe it or not I have managed that without damaging it or myself..........................thanks.

The socket canno't be turned down any further without risking going through the wall so I am going to widen the opening and junk the wheel.

Oh and earlyapex thanks for your constructive reply! to all you other guys I will from now on try to only have problems that live up to your high expectations
Old 04-06-2005, 02:55 PM
emac
Racer

Mr Jones
I am totaly confused, if I read right you said that you removed the same wheel from
another car with no issues,. if the socket fit once it will without a doubt fit again.

But I canno't even get my turned down one past the entrance to the body of
the steering wheel.

What does the above statement mean?? What is a turned down?? And what wall are you talk
ing about??
As Eric said in a earlier post---post a photo and Im sure someone will be able to help.
If you must cut around the nut to get it off you horn pad will cover any damange caused.
Again just trying to help.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:43 PM
BJJones
Instructor

Sorry I should have made myself clearer.

I has a previous 930 (1983) with the same (or similar wheel fitted) I removed that without any problem. That is why I am confused by this problem.

I turned the socket down on my lathe as far as I can safely and it still does not clear the hole.

I knew what I meant!

Anyway problem solved I machined a groove in the socket and managed to get it through the accsses hole at an angle, the main thrust of my post was that I couldn't really believe how much hassle I was having just changing my steering wheel!

Sorry if I was not clear in my description.

Quick Reply: Ridiculous wheel question (steering wheel)