911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'88 Carrera, Leaking AC

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005 | 12:32 AM
brcorp
Track Day

You can do a set of barrier hoses for less than $200.00 if you are willing to get under the car and get dirty, you'll have the same thing Griffiths sells and money left over.

Given the cost of R134 these days I'd opt for R-12. This shouldn't cost you more $200.00 for an evacuation and charge.

Bill
Old 04-09-2005 | 11:50 PM
makken
7th Gear

hey guys, sorry i didn't get back to this sooner, been busy this week

First of all, Thanks for the recommendations.
A few people mentioned buying barrier hoses in bulk, then having a shop clip the right ends on... I'm considering that right now. I may actually just replace the one leaking hose with barrier for now, convert to R134, see how that holds up. Does anyone have instructions on how to take that one hose out? I can see how it attaches to the condenser, but it goes really deep into the engine bay, and I can't see where it ends.

BTW, is R134 really that expensive right now? It's been over 2 years since i've last checked prices on it.
Old 04-10-2005 | 01:08 AM
StanV
Instructor

I removed my AC last year. If the hose you refer to attaches to the left side of the condenser on the engine bay cover, and disappears forward and to the left, it wends its way forward to the receiver-dryer which is found in the left front wheel-well, behind the tire&wheel. It will be held in several places by small clamps which can be re-used. Because I was removing the AC and the hoses were in rotten shape, I just cut the hose ahead of the left rear wheel and removed one portion through the engine bay and the other from the front. Although the clamps could have been re-used, the sheetmetal screws that held them were all rusty and would have required replacement.

Quick Reply: '88 Carrera, Leaking AC