Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Favorite Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 03:27 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Check my database for accurate numbers -- but note ---> you do NOT have to pay for new panels to lose the wt. of the pockets!

Also, if you drink enough caffeine you will burn fat at a much higher rate... it is a lot of caffeine tho.

Another tip on wt. loss is to pay attention to the top of the car and the rear of the car - bumper, deck lid, rear tail lights can all be done in FG to lose signif. wt. Getting a non-sunroof coupe is an obvious choice (unless, like me, you really really want that sun roof). The worst is a cab, followed by a Targa. Everybody has to make a compromise they are comfy with...

The important thing is to not delude yourself about cosmetics vs. wt. loss or other performance alterations. If you want to spend a lot of $$ on something b/c you like the way it looks - fine. But be honest with your self about why you spent the moola.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a mass flow sensor. It bolts on easily and really makes the car much more drivable and much quickwer through out the rev range. they are not cheap, 1K plus, but they do more than any chip I have used.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:52 PM
Chuck Harmon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best upgrades I made to my SC were lowering and corner balancing,
factory short shift kit Bursch exhaust and cat bypass and new injectors.
Lowering made a noticable difference in handeling, the Bursch made a
difference in sound and the injectors made a big difference in
power and gas milage. Injectors for the SC are fairly cheap as injectors
go 25 or 30 bucks each ! my SC was a daily driver and money was
tight so this is all I could afford at the time. I tried to pick the upgrades
to fit my budget and get the best bang for the buck.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:47 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Frankly, for a street and occasional DE car, you really don't have to do anything to a Carrara. It is already way faster than all abut the best drivers can handle.

Just my personal opinions, here's what I'd do on a limited budget.

1) Make sure the brakes, shocks, etc, etc are up to factory spec.
2) Good set of high performance tires. This is the single best improvement you can make
3) Put on Turbo tie rod ends. Personally I think they improve steering feel, especially in an older car
4) Put on a smaller thicker wheel (like a MOMO). This will increase steering effort but i find it really improves the feel and responsiveness of the steering. This is a matter of taste.
5) Get a good alignment. If you track the car you may want to add a bit of negative camber

If the budget is large, all the above are great.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:21 PM
mjmoran
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good points JCP.
1) Possibly the best and least expensive mod is to lower the ride height and corner balance the car. This with the T tie rods a superior tires will help greatly.
2) Brakes, ATE super fluid and Porterfield R4S pads are for a nice budget upgrade over standard for spirited street...if your feeling heavy on the wallet you can ad AJ-USA cooling ducts to your standard rotors.
3) Engine..just fine the way it is unless you want to start spending big money. The first is the exhaust system though...and its all down hill from there on out!
Old 04-04-2005, 05:45 PM
H. Miller
Racer

How about a Carrera Oil Cooler for the SCs? Just bought a 1983 SC and I will be doing several DEs each year so I thought the Carrera Oil Cooler would be needed (kind of expensive).
Old 04-05-2005, 01:31 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

A cooler engine at the cost of some weight (cooler, lines and extra oil).
Is it a good trade?
I can't say for sure. The factory must have thought so else it wouldn't have appeared on the Carrera models.
I'd really question how hot your car gets without the added cooler and then determine if reducing engine temps (even marginally) would benefit anything besides the long term effects (i.e. will it make it go faster, stop faster, or handle any better?).
Old 04-05-2005, 09:35 AM
jaydubya
Racer

These were the first upgrades that I did on my 82 SC (in order) and they worked out very well. This assumes that your car is otherwise in working order, including good brake pads and fresh brake fluid, and shocks/struts in good condition:

1) f/r torsion bars (used Sanders 22/29); lower car, bump steer kit, alignment. This was the biggest handling improvement of everything that I have done.
2) If you are going to autox/track, get a dedicated set of tires/wheels.
3) Seat time.

For my car the list keeps going to about 50

Carerra fender oil cooler with fan can help temps, but you need to make sure that you GET AIR TO THE THING. Try your car at some track events w/o it first. Some SCs tend to run hot, some don't. Of course, also depends on how hard you push it... Eventually you will likely need to address cooling.

Don't forget safety items if you are going to run on a track.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:38 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

IMHO the trombone oil "cooler" on the SC is worthless. If you are going to track the car, it is good insurance against an expen$$$ive rebuild. Overheating will break headstuds pretty quickly, especially if they have not been upgraded.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:54 AM
DiTomaso
1st Gear

you could bore out the cylinders a little. it will cost a lot but yyou can get a 3.0 to a 3.2
Old 04-11-2005, 11:43 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,166 Likes on 2,911 Posts

I think if you're going to spend any time on the track, some nice seats (I like the fibreglass Recaro shells like Pole Positions) are a huge improvement. Saves alot of weight and lets you drive without holding on to the wheel for dear life in the corners.

Quick Reply: Favorite Upgrades