Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Folding your Targa top?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 04:57 AM
Stephen Masraum
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Critter/Grant, later models had different master cylinder/possibly power brakes with booster setups, so there was not enough room to fold the top and put it in the trunk.

I have and will fold mine, but I usually just put it unfolded behind the seats. I can remove or reinstall it from my seat at a stop-light if I am so inclined.
Old 04-19-2002, 06:53 PM
NOW UC IT
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I take mine off maybe several times a year but I have to agree that if you clean and use lexol on it like your seats you will never get the creases. I have had 2 targas and never had that problem with my tops. Maintaining your top is the key.

89 Carrera Targa
Old 05-02-2002, 01:13 PM
85targa911man
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drive my 85 targa daily year round and the top is on/off (folded) several times a week from April to October. The lip is raised but the top is in otherwise excellent condition. With the raised lip, there were no water leaks, but it did have considerable wind noise. For a cheap fix--not something you would do for a coucours car--I installed a strip of 3/4 x 7/16 rubber foam weatherstripping across the front of the top along the leading edge of the frame, using flexible silicone glue. I now have zero wind leak at 80 mph. (Of course, I only drove that fast to test the seal.) Total cost of fix-about $5. I experimented with different width and thickness weatherstripping and the 3/4 wide x 7/16 thick worked the best. The flexible glue lets you fold the top (carefully) without pulling the weatherstripping off.
Old 05-02-2002, 07:34 PM
Walt
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No doubt an unfolded top will far outlast one that is folded. But I would rather enjoy the car and not worry about it. I recovered mine myself and am prepared to do it again in a few years if it becomes damaged. After all, they were made to be folded.

Quick Reply: Folding your Targa top?